We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

chanel change

chippy+

Likes # 0

hi i posted this question in helproom but thought it might get more replies here in networking

when i look at my wireless config and rescan i see 3 connections 1) my own chanel 9

2) neigbour chanel 5

3)neighbour chanel 9

i changed mine to 6 to keep a seperate chanel but no matter what i change it to 3) neighbour changes to the same as mine what is happening thanks Chippy

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Is it possible that your neighbours router is set to choose a chanel automatically? Has your neighbour ever been allowed to connect to your router?

Like this post
chippy+

Likes # 0

hi Taff™

i dont know what neighbour it is but if they are on auto how dose it change when i go into my router and change my chanel

thanks Chippy

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Not sure myself. Are you sure it`s a neighbour and not another piece of wireless equipment on your network? A wireless printer or another wireless computer for example - now that would explain it!

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Are you by any chance using a BT Home Hub which, in addition to your own network, may provide a second wireless network connection? As I don't have the hardware I'm not sure of the correct terminology - is it perhaps the Open Reach service which provides roaming WiFi access to BT customers?

If this is the case, changing the channel number in the router will almost certainly change the settings in both services. You may simply be seeing two instances of your own router.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I think it was BT "Openzone" that I was thinking of as the second network available in a BT Hub.

Like this post
ashleycardwell94

Likes # 0

unrelated to the actual topic but for MGMCC

a relative of mine just got the bt home hub. it provides 3 access points.

1 is BTHUB and some numbers ( for private use, secured as default )

2 is BT openzone ( open )

3 is BT FON ( open )

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......