We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard Drive Failure

ria

Likes # 0

I have a 3 year old Cougar Extreme Desktop system. Unfortunately my hard drive failed to load windows yesterday. I have checked the connections inside and as it’s making a terrible noise I am assuming it needs replacing. My old hard drive was a WD Raptor WD1500ADFD. I have searched the net for a replacement (it looks like that it has been discontinued?), but can only find a WD VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS. Does anyone know if this is the replacement model and therefore would work in my computer? I am grateful for any help

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Any SATA drive will do the job in fact a bigger SATA drive will probably be cheaper than trying to fit another 150G drive.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

If your PC is less than 5 years old then your WD Raptor is still under warranty.

Go to WD warranty support and type in your WD Raptor's S/N, however you may be redirected to Cougar Extreme because it's supplied thru' a manufacturer, good luck.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Like this post
ria

Likes # 0

Thank you for the replies. Forgot about the warranty, but will give it a go as the computer is only 3 years old.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Before you create a RMA,please download these Diagnostic Tools first to check your Raptor otherwise if you return a Faulty drive later only found out to be something else and get returned back to you, you'll be subject to a charge.

Also the tool can be used to Zero Write (wipe)your Raptor should it be proved faulty.

Data LifeGuard Diagnostics DOS DLG for Floppy

DLG for CD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics DOS

Like this post
ria

Likes # 0

Thank you for your advice. I downloaded and burned the ISO file to a CD.
I have 2 hard drive installed on the computer, but unfortunately it only recognize the second hard drive where I have all my important files stored. I don’t get the option to select the Raptor in order to run the Diagnostic Tools. It just makes constant loud clicking and whirring noises.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Noises listen here and it will tell you what is probable cause of noise - yours sounds bad (no pun intended)

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

This sounds bad, suggest you log onto WD support to check the warranty status and prepare for RMA.

Reason for return, you can choose faulty drive and say you've already checked the drive with DLG.

If the process doesn't involve Cougar Extreme then it'll take roughly 10-15 working days before you can get the replacement HDD.

The faulty HDD should be sent to a UK WD repairing centre at your own expense however the replacement HDD might come from abroad. Please pay attention to the HDD return packaging and refer to the RMA instructions.

Like this post
ria

Likes # 0

Thanks for the help again. I did get a RAM number and send the hard drive back to the UK WD repairing centre. In the meanwhile I tried to install windows on my second hard drive for the time being, as my husband is self-employed and depends on the internet very much. But I have come across another major problem ? ?. During the installation of windows7 the picture got really distort and after the first restart I could not see anything on my monitor. I have got an Nvidia 8800GTX graphics card.
We have checked all the connections inside the computer and when we used the graphics card other port (it seems to support 2 monitors) I had a normal picture during all the windows installation, which I had to restart. Unfortunately after turning the computer on this morning there was no picture again. I am not very technical minded, so I have no idea where to start to fix this. I phoned Cougar Extreme this morning for some advice, but the customer advisor wasn’t very helpful as there’s no guarantee left on the computer. Assuming, as I had a picture for quite a while last night, it is not the monitor? Does that mean I now need a new graphics card? Searching the internet I saw something about that I might need a new battery on the motherboard? Any help is much appreciated.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Unplug all cables to monitor and plug back in and retry.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......