We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Network PCI Adapter Problem

Goldenfrog

Likes # 0

Hello.

I am hoping someone can help me set up my wireless N PCI adapter.

I have just purchased and installed a TP-Link TL-WN951N PCI adapter, I am using Windows 7 64bit and I have installed the latest driver from the TP-Link website. The only reason I need this card is to use the WiFi connection on my Amazon Kindle 3 to connect to my PC. I connect to the internet via an ethernet cable through a Netgear DG834v4 modem/router.

Device Manager says the card is working properly, but when I go to Network and Sharing Centre / Change Adapter Settings, it states Not Connected. If I right click on Wireless Network Connection and click Connect/Disconnect I get a box in the bottom right hand corner of my screen which says Currently connected to: Network Internet Access but there are no other options. I am using Windows 7 firewall which I disabled to see if this was blocking access but it made no difference.

I am at a loss as to how to set this up and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I think your Kindle needs a wireless router to connect to - it could then 'talk' to your PC via ethernet (ie, PC doesn't need a wireless adaptor).

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

P.S. Can you not connect your Kindle via the supplied cable to a USB port?

Like this post
Goldenfrog

Likes # 0

Hi onthelimit1, thanks for the reply.

Yes I can use and have been using a USB cable, but would like to use the WiFi capability. Also now that I have bought the Network adapter I would like to get it set up and working. Is it not possible for the Kindle to connect to the PC via an Network PCI adapter?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

No, I don't think so. Pretty sure it needs to link via a wireless router. Not hugely expensive, if you want to go down that route (no pun intended). If you push it, most ISPs will provide one for free to keep your custom.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I don't know if this helps Wireless Ad Hoc

Like this post
Goldenfrog

Likes # 0

I set up an ad hoc network but although my kindle detects it, when I try to connect it says it is an unsupported WiFi network.

Like this post
Goldenfrog

Likes # 1

I have now managed to set up a connection using Connectify.

Thanks to all who replied.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Interesting - hadn't come across that before.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......