We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

change home network name

redeyenewby

Likes # 0

I have just reformatted my hard drive and am reinstalling my apps. Unfortunately when I installed my router I gave the wrong name for my home network. I wish to reinstall my wireless printer but I need to change the home network name to the original one which the other equipment will accept. How do I do this,please.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

What router do you have?

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Sorry might have misread what you wanted is it the SSID (wireless name transmitted by your router) or the network name in windows eg MSHOME or WORKGROUP?

Like this post
redeyenewby

Likes # 0

The router is a NETGEAR WGR614v9. The name I am after is that which I used to identify my nerwork. Hope this helps. I am on NTL broadband and Windows XP. Cheers and thank you om antisipation.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 1

In the address bar of your browser type http://192.168.0.1 and press enter.

You will now see the netgear router login page and by default you will be asked to authenticate yourself by providing a username and password.

In the username field type in admin

In the password field type in password

go to the wireless tab then SSID and change it to what you want, save changes and exit.

Like this post
redeyenewby

Likes # 0

Hi, Strawballs, Thank you for your advise. Only one thing different - the Netgear would not answer to 192.168.0.1, however, when I put in 192.168.1.1 (default) it worked and I was able to change my home network name to it's correct identification. Thank you very much for your help and advise. Judging by the number of viewers of this thread I'm sure a lot of members will find ir very helpfull. Cheers.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Glad to have been of help click on one of the ticks next to the posts to change post to resolved.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features