We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband hijacking

Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

My son who is in shared accommodation recently started using broadband. He has found that although his computer is not on his broadband usage is being consumed. It seems to me that someone is tapping into this. What can he do to stop this?

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

Thanks -cannot contact him until this evening

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Whilst he is not connected wirelessly, the modem could have it's wireless function switched on, and if it's not secured, anyone could tap into it just like you can outside certain well known coffee shops.

The Wireless function (on/off switch) on a D-Link is through the admin panel which you access via the browser. As lotvic suggested, there may be a button to press.

Or perhaps the aerials could be unscrewed thus reducing the wireless coverage?

Your lad should have acquired some mates at uni - some of these will have the necessary skills to assist him - he will just need to ask around.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

"Not sure what router but it has just been installed by BT two months ago"

BT Homehub perhaps chaps.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

If installed by BT the chances are it is the Home Hub Home Hub wireless This is instructions for setting up wireless but you could switching off wireless by ticking no in the wireless connections part of instructions

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

How is your son measuring his broadband usage? Is it via his Internet service provider (ISP)? The reason that I ask is that there can be a delay between the broadband usage and the usage site being updated. I used to monitor my usage (when I had a limit cap) and it would sometimes take several hours before my ISP updated my usage. So for example I would use my computer for an evening then look at my usage just before closing my computer down. If I looked at the usage again the next morning it would always show more than it did the previous night.

As others have said its really easy to either switch your sons wirteless feature off or encrypt and password protect it.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If installed by BT, likely to be a HomeHub. If so, have a look at click here

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

Cannot contact him until this evening but will do so then - many thanks

Like this post
Eileanbeag

Likes # 0

Thank you - will see that he encrypts - but he was monitering from BT Home Page and assumed that as he had not used the computer and there was a large jump in the amount used that someone else was using his allocation - so maybe not. Many thanks for your help.

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

From the BT site

When is usage information updated?

The usage displayed on the monitor is scheduled to update every 24 hours. To help you keep track of the updates, the time and date of the last update are displayed on the left hand side of the page.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

bremner

I agree you cannot connect two dsl modems to one telephone number as only one modem can be switched on at a time; it wont stop two being connected. There is little indication of whether the connection is permanently engaged all the time by the 'legal' modem and it is unlikely that it will be. A second modem could be employed at other times.

However, I take the point made by lotvic that if a router is used both the modem and wireless function could be used simultaneously - and the wireless use need not be in the house, especially if the wireless function is not secured.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September