We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Partitioning query

Happy37

Likes # 0

Hello everyone.....

I am running Windows XP Professional is running on my IDE Western Digital 320GB hard drive on my PC. (Master on the Primary IDE channel)...this PC runs a Pentium 4 processor with 2GB RAM.

I have now gone ahead and have also installed Windows 7 Professional on my recently purchased SATA2 1TB drive. This is running via a PCI SATA2 card.

All is working extremely well using this combination.

I have realised that the Windows 7 install/boot partition is too small, bearing in mind that this is only an experiment before I decide to move to Windows 7 completely in the future.

Can anyone please advise how I can safely resize the boot partition on the SATA2 drive without destroying any data? Please also note that there is another separate partition on this drive that I am just using for storage.

I have also used EasyBCD to run as a boot manager so that I can boot from whichever operating system I choose when the PC boots.

link text

If the resize partition option is not feasible, can I just use EasyBCD to replace the Windows XP boot loader on the PC so that just Windows XP will boot? Can anyone also confirm that I will have to run/use EasyBCD in Windows XP to replace the XP bootloader on the PC in place of the Windows 7 one?

I can then delete the Windows 7 partition and re-create and start/re-install from scratch with the correct partition size that I have got in mind.

Hope this all makes sense - grateful for any advice that can be given.

Many thanks.

Regards

Happy37

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Disk Management ("Start > Run", type diskmgmt.msc and click OK) in Windows 7 should give you the option to Extend Volume among the options when you right click the drive.

(A similar option is not available in XP.)

Like this post
Happy37

Likes # 0

mgmcc

Many thanks for your reply.

Is this a non-destructive option? - will doing this affect any data or not?

Please advise - thanks once again.

Regards

Happy37

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

You could also use Easeus Partition Master Home (free) Click here

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Is this a non-destructive option? - will doing this affect any data or not?

Messin with partitions is alway hazardous an you should back up important dta on the SATA drive to amother driver before you start.

Using W7 disk management is usually not a problem but it is no good being wiser after the event :0)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings