We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Keeping photos....?

B.J.

Likes # 0

I take LOTS of digital photos and have been using Picasa now for a year or two.I'm always looking at my pics and trying various changes to improve 'em. I've just realised (and been told) that it's not a good thing to store my pics in jpeg because playing with them and continually messing about with them even viewing them, they will deteriorate and be ruined over time. The problem is.....I'm knee deep in pics (all jpeg) and already desperate to sort 'em somehow but how do I sort and save 'em now with different file types to consider I'm thinking of taking up knitting instead.....the stress is getting to me! HELP PLEASE before I dance on the grave of my beloved camera. B.J.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Well thats the first time I've heard that. Some of my pics are from the 90's and I've seen no sign of quality loss. If you really are worried burn them all to a DVD and put that somewhere safe. Use what's on your hard drive to view and play with.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

kevscar Granted you probably dont notice the difference that dont mean there isn't . And its really sometimes problem with frequent edting Ie Jpeg is a Lossy format

B.J possibly not worth worrying about though as said I would store the masters on some other media dont know about dvd apart from the space (which memory sticks can beat) CD more reliable than dvd.If you want to save as a Lossles format whilst reating a small size the Jpeg2000 is lossles link text

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

The first rule of editing Jpeg's is never work on the original, always work on a copy, all your "quality problems are then solved. Viewing/moving only, will have no affect on the quality.

How you eventually save all your photos is up to you. My preferred method is to external hard drives. All photos are taken in the "Raw" format and saved as such.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Should read "My preferred method is to external hard drives. All My photos are taken in the "Raw" format and saved as such".

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

agree nevr work on the original but then never work on a Jpeg either convert the duplicate to a lossles format first unless you can always ? do all your editing and saving in one go

Like this post
B.J.

Likes # 0

Thanks for the answers folks, you've given me some more ideas. I've got to decide where to put 'em when they're new off the camera and keep 'em separate from the 'rotting' jpegs that I play with. By the way, be warned, I've already lost some jpeg pictures that have reduced in size so much that now they only show in the middle of the screen !! Thanks again.....B.J.

Like this post
David4637

Likes # 0

If you open, edit, and save a jpg it uses a compression utility to save it. If you then open up this saved jpg again, edit it and save it, the quality will slowly go down hill, the more times you do this action. David

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...