We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PSU Amps?

BB28

Likes # 0

Hey everyone,

I'm putting together a machine, so far it's:

intel i7 2600k 3.4ghz ASUS P67 LE Rev 3 motherboard ASUS 1024MB GDDR5 GTX 560 ti Graphics card 8GB RAM Samsung 1TB SpinPoint

I'm curious about the PSU, I've been recommended; Ezcool Ambiance 80+ 700w PSU

nVidia say to have a minimum of 500W with this card (although it doesn't use that much)and with 600W I should be plenty safe. But I have read of people having issues with not enough amps through the PSU for the card. the card says a minimum of 30A and I have no idea how amps, volts or watts work :S I've had a look around but things like "dual rail" have confused me a bit.

This is the voltage information I found on the net for this PSU, if someone could help me break it down or tell me if it's ok for what I'm trying to push then that'd be great! :)

Voltage/Load: +3.3V 25A; +5V 24A; +12V1 30A; +12V2 30A; -12V 0.3A; +5vsb 2.5A ROHS compliant

Thank you!!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'no idea how amps, volts or watts work'

click here

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

You have to remember your old Auntie Ivy Watts.

I x V = W

So above Total Watts is (25x3.3)+(24x5)+...etc

Note that some mfr's are a bit economical with the truth.

They use the maximumum values for each Voltage (rail) when in fact the power supply cannot feed all rails at max at the same time.

Read the PSU spec small print.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'