We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook Express and AOL

stlucia2
Resolved

Likes # 0

I normally use my AOL software to manage my AOL emails, but I've often read here of people who use Outlook Express instead. So a while back I added my AOL account to the list of accounts in my Outlook Express.

Now every time I fire up Outlook Express it retrieves and sends my Madasafish emails as it should, and also retrieves my unread AOL emails.

But, irrespective of whether there are any AOL emails, Outlook Express always gives me a warning message when it's finished retrieving and sending, details of which are, "Your 'Sent Items' folder was not polled for its unread count. Could not get the unread counts for 'Sent Items' on 'imap.aol.com' Account: 'imap.aol.com', Server: 'imap.aol.com', Protocol: IMAP, Server Response: 'STATUS failed', Port: 143, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCCD2" and "Your 'VOICEMAIL' folder was not polled for its unread count. Could not get the unread counts for 'VOICEMAIL' on 'imap.aol.com' Account: 'imap.aol.com', Server: 'imap.aol.com', Protocol: IMAP, Server Response: 'STATUS failed', Port: 143, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCCD2"

I think these messages are of little or no consequence since I'm not really interested in how many unread sent items there are, and I've never used AOL voicemail. So, how can I stop the error message from being generated, please?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Have you actually set AOL up in Outlook Express as an IMAP account and not a POP3 account?

IMAP mail, if correctly set up, should synchronise both incoming and outgoing messages.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Yes, mgmcc, it's set up as an IMAP account.

I originally input the settings as advised on this forum, but there's a couple of things I don't understand: Firstly, under the IMAP tab in the Properties screen, there's no root path input, and "Check for new messages in all folders" is checked; secondly, server port numbers are 587 and 143.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I have port 143 for my incoming mail on IMAP, but 465 for my outgoing SMTP server, which requires an SSL connection. However, this is not with AOL and a quick check on Google indicates that 587 is the correct port for AOL's outgoing mail.

Have a look at these pages for the detailed settings:

AOL Outgoing mail settings

AOL IMAP Incoming mail settings

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

AOL sent me this last year (29/01/2010).

May be relevant??

The Outlook Express Link was link text

I use Thunderbird and I used to get errors, but not recently. Maybe I fixed it. Dunno. . . . . . Dear myusername

If you access your email using third party software, such as Outlook or Thunderbird, please read this important message.

We want to inform you of a change to our email infrastructure that will result in copies of sent emails no longer being automatically placed in your Sent folder when sent via third party email software, as of Tuesday, February 2, 2010.

In order for you to continue having your sent emails automatically placed in your Sent folder on February 2, 2010 or later, you will need to make a change in your email software settings no later than February 1, 2010. Please note that you will not be required to enter your AOL login and password as part of this process.

Below are links to help articles on how to update the settings for the most common email software

Outlook 2007

Outlook 2002/2003

Outlook Express

Thunderbird for Windows and Mac

Mail on Mac OS X

Please make the necessary updates as soon as possible.

The infrastructure change we are making will only affect email sent through third party email software. Email sent using AOL software (AOL 9.0, 9.1, 9.5, Desktop), AOL webmail, or a mobile device such as a Blackberry or iPhone will continue to have copies of sent email placed in the Sent folder.

Thank you for using AOL Mail.

Regards, The AOL Mail Team

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Problem seems to be solved.

One of your AOL mail settings links gave a value of 993 instead of 143 for incoming mail, so I changed the setting in Outlook. Outlook then said it needed to check what folders are available on the server so that it could update its list, but connection with AOL was terminated while it was doing so. I then re-set the incoming mail value to 143, Outlook checked the folders on the server without any problem, and then I saw that VOICEMAIL was no longer shown in the folder list under imap.aol.com in Outlook.

So it seems like Outlook Express was looking for a non-existent folder on the AOL server, and thus getting error messages: Forcing it to update its list of folders has stopped it from doing this. I see now there's a "Reset List" option in Tools > IMAP folders... which probably would have achieved the same thing.

Thanks guys.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...