We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Poor line speeds

harps1h

Likes # 0

My problem is with BT and their provision of my internet via a third party ISP.

I live 330 metres from the NIWT exchange (Waringstown), my house is only 5 years old (therefore the wiring is new), I currently sync at 8128 with the exchange.

Where my problem lies is that BT insist that I have a profile of only 1750, thus reducing my speed to 6mb and approaching 7mb. Up until the first quarter of last year I also enjoyed these speeds and maintained a profile of 7150 constantly. However somewhere along the line this changed, and I noticed a variance in my speeds, although the 7150 stayed. At the time I was with my ISP for 3 years and never had an issue. They however changed their supplier from Entanet to Murphx at around the same time. For a while I played a wait and see game thinking it maybe something to do with the changeover and it would take time to settle. However, by last July at time my speeds were reducing to less than 1mb at times so I contacted them. They investigated and after 3 months of to and for no progress was made and I made a decision to move to another ISP, based upon their reviews and an assurance that they could sort this out. Today however it is no further on as you can see from my intro. I would like to point out that this ISP have given everything they can to resolve this issue since last September and their CS reviews were accurate. So what has happened in the intervening months?

For a long time my profile was arbritarily changing every few days at the exchange, jumping from 6878 to 2500 and back up and this went on for months up until December when it suddenly shot back up to 7150. This only lasted for a few days and then it went back to 2500. After some persistence in February BT sent an engineer to resolve this, and his estimation was the problem lay at the exchange and not my home setup. He wanted to swap out the card but the help desk told him no and they would reset my profile to 7150, which they did. For a few days my speeds were good and >6000mb, then overnight after 5 days it went back to 2500. Since then it has bumped along between 2000 and 2500, changing overnight at the exchange always at 00.15. 3 weeks ago in response from mails from my ISP they reset my profile to 7150 and once again my speeds rose accordingly, then out of the blue it reset to 1750 where it has stayed ever since. However in all this time my sync rate on my router is 8128, although if I looked at my max ratings it varies according to the profile stated there. For example it states my sync is currently 2018 with a profile of 1750, but my router shows at 8128. If I do a speed test at any ISP it shows my connection as 8mb with a download of 7-8mb and whilst I understand these are only estimates they are an indication of my line potential. My current router stats are as follows: Data rate 8128 Noise margin 8.4 Output power 9.8 Attenuation 6.0 I have tried everything here I can do. I have changed filters tested a different router plugged into the master socket directly changed my ehternet cable run all tests with the wireless turned off disabled all un-necessary windows services I am at my wits end with this and do not know where to turn to. If anybody has any suggestions I would gladly listen

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Have had same problems with BT and have complained several times each time after a few days they phone and say they will reset line speed and increase it gradually in stages by about 500kb a time due to automated sensing equipment and not to switch off the hub which I don't anyway. After a so called upgrade to the new BT n tech hub v3 my line speed dropped to below 1MB. They increased it to 6.3MB after complaining which lasted a few days and has dropped back to below 4.6MB again. I am convinced that BT throttle back line speed at the local exchange. Like you totally exasperated and just laugh when they talk about 20MB BT Infinity. Time they got their 8MB working! The only thing to do is to continue complaining or switch ISP.

Like this post
harps1h

Likes # 0

I have considered switching ISP but it is an unknown quantity in terms of will it change much. Added to this is the fact that my ISP has been excellent in communications and are as frustrated as me. Yhis itself raises another issue as to whether my ISP has reached a wall in this matter and do not feel the need to pursue as vigorously as they have done before. I just don't know what to do, but I have to make a decision shortly as I am paying >£25 for a service that talktalk could provide me at less than £10. The thought of Indian call centres makes me shiver with dread

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

harps1h

For what it's worth I had the same trouble as you. My telephone land line is provided by BT and I used to be with Orange for broadband until the service deteriorated to such an extent as to force a move.

I jumped through all of the same hoops as you to know avail, I think because ADSL is a rate adaptive service this is why you get a constantly changing line speed. I like you am in a new build property and only 200 meters from the exchange, nothing I did made any difference.

Orange customer service were worse than useless (your comment about indian call centres is apposite you really don't want to go there!)

All I can tell you is that I switched to Zen Internet and from the moment my migration was complete I have had a rock solid service 24/7.

Sometimes you do have to pay more to receive a premium product, have a look at them it may be the answer to your problems!

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

It's best to complain to BT by email which I find usually is diverted to Ireland for technical resolution. I think you are correct when you say they have reached a wall because the line speed of local exchanges can't cope with the recent sudden surge of on line video streaming with Iplayer and the like. I think probably half the country are being short changed on the speed of service and the regulator just allows it. The 'get out clause' fo ISP suppliers is that they are allowed to quote up to 8MB but can get away with less than half that. Wish we could get away with paying half the quarterly bill when it arrives.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I am not making excuses, but most ISP's are going to plug their 'better service and higher speed' mantra, when it comes to selling a product, and that is why Ofcom have told the industry that 'upto' is no longer acceptable.

But what can the ISP's do about the situation, when the main provider is usually a BT line and exchange that requires constant maintenance and upgrading. Optic fibre is the way forward I suppose, and cable companies have gone this route, because cable service is the new industry. But even cable companies have had changes of ownership. Think how many cable companies there were, and who no owns the monopolies?.

On a personal note, I have at present serious problems with the services being provided by the ISP that I use. Most of the time it appears to be an head-banging exercise in getting true answers and facts, and that even from top management or 'experts'. I have now come to the point that the ISP's are sometimes trying, but are failing in their attempts, because there are to many third parties involved, in perhaps balancing the books on profit and service provisions?.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've been with a small ISP (Vispa) for 10 yrs now. Speeds have got steadily better - currently 6.5. That's despite living in a rural community, 5km from the exchange. Never had a loss of service or serious slow down. I feel for those of you less fortunate than myself!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I was with ADSL24 for nearly a year and quite happy with the speed of 3 meg. They then changed to Murphx and speed dropped to 1.5 meg. My line isn't the best so 3 meg was a reasonable speed. They failed to get it back to 3meg so changed to Plusnet. Now the download speed also dropped to 1.5 meg with Plusnet so have been in contact, via email, and they also have re-set my profile and now sync at 3500kbps and speed back to normal. They've contacted me via telephone a couple of times and are now monitoring the situation. Very pleased with the customer support so far.

One thing that puzzles me is that the line synced to the lower ADSL and not ADSL max.From BT ADSL checker,

"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 4Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3Mbps and 5Mbps".

Like this post
harps1h

Likes # 0

what is going on here that is not what i meant to post!!

Where my problem lies is that BT insist that I have a profile of only 1750, thus reducing my speed to 6mb and approaching 7mb. Up until the first quarter of last year I also enjoyed these speeds and maintained a profile of 7150 constantly.

Like this post
harps1h

Likes # 0

something wierd here this is not what i pasted so one last time>

where my problem lies is that BT insist I have a profile of only 1750, thus reducing my speed accordingly to 6mb approaching 7mb. Up until the Q1 of last year I also enjoyed these speeds and maitained a constant profile of 7150.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

gives me 404 Error - Page not available

not having a lot of luck are you :(

As a tip, you could check in the grey preview box below the compose 'Reply to this topic' box to see exactly how your posting will look before you hit the 'Post' button. You can also check that your links will work from there.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September