We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Clean reinstall of w7 oem

sputnick

Likes # 0

I have always build my own PC`s and used retail O/S. If a pc is bought from new and has a oem O/S is it possible to do a reinstall if it goes bad. I`m still thinking of getting a retail O/S though .

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Yes

The Product key will be on the MS sticker on the machine.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

The only difference between them is an OEM dies with the machine and retail you can transfer from machine to machine as long as only on one at a time (unless multi licence)

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Most OEM pre-installed machines have recovery partitions containing OS/drivers and free apps (bloatware). Though the apps are useful for many.

And they offer to make a set of DVDs with the same.

Often referred to as Factory (or System) Restore (or Recovery)

While the DVDs (and boot CD/DVD) should be considered essential emergency supplies, it is more convenient to set up Windows, install AV and security, browser etc, then make a System Image to an external HDD.

My cleanish rebuild is taking just 20 mins to USB 2,0 drive for a complete image. It's a darn sight easier than setting up from completely new.

Like this post
sputnick

Likes # 0

Thanks all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED