We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blue Screen crash graphics?

DoubleDee2011

Likes # 0

Hi All

I am looking for some advice on a problem I am having with my desktop.

Until recently I was running XP but the system encountered a problem and began crashing - first the screen would go funny (as if the graphics card had errors or there was damage to the LCD), then it would blue screen me and the shut down.

I had major problems trying to reinstall XP, so I chose to install 7 ultimate instead. Managed to complete the installation, but it worked ok last night, then this morning it started doing the same thing.

Originally the OS was installed on a SATA drive, but I thought the drive itself may have been the problemn so I installed 7 to another drive (not a SATA but can't remember what they are called :/).

So I have changed the software, and the drive - but still getting problems - what can I do?

Many thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The information on the Blue screen would help us solve the problem.

But its beginning to sound like memory, try removing one stick of memory at a time and see it that stops it.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Or sometimes a dead/dying CMOS battery can have weird effects. Additionally have you tried re-seating your cards/RAM and checking the connections to the motherboard and drives?

Like this post
DoubleDee2011

Likes # 0

Thank you for the replies.

I have checked that everything is plugged in snugly. I have two memory chips and two memory slots - I have rebooted with each chip in each slot and both together (swapping slots each time) - I am still getting the same result.

I seem to be able to copy files over from one hard drive to another without issue but if I try to open a download manager (thats all there is program wise at the moment) it crashes everytime.

Forgot to mention earlier it has onboard graphics.

On the last blue screen all I managed to catch was STOP: OxOOOOOOO8

I will try to get more next time it happens.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Use this program to get a details of your BSOD. Bluescreen

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If "the screen goes funny" it could be a graphics card problem or possibly the graphics card driver although if it has happened on both XP and Win 7 installations I would think that the latter is unlikely although worth a try to make sure that you have the latest driver for your on board graphics. Any chance that you can (at least temporarily) borrow or get a stand alone graphics card? - you don't say what motherboard or PC that you have so it could be either AGP or PCIe.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more