We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

distance from exchange

Fred Heartsun

Likes # 0

Why is that a problem? why is there a difference in the speed between my isp and my exchange, and my exchange and my home?

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

I expect the Signal to the exchange will be optic fibre,to your home most likely it will be copper,and as we know copper being metal brings with it resistance i.e. the longer the cable the more resistance hence poorer signal.i assume your with B.T. not Virgin,but there the same just that the cabinets are closer to your probpert. Saying the in Luton B.T. have done the same as virgin and installed local boxes in the streets,hence your "nearer" the optical fibre node.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

It's a problem because they are trying to squeeze a high frequency signal down a pair of wires that were never designed to do the job, not only is there resistance like mole44 says but other losses that reduce the signal, like inter-capacitance and inductance of the cable that attenuate the signal over distance and distortion caused to the data stream, not unlike the early cables across the Atlantic where they had to install repeaters every few Kilometres to overcome that problem.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

I suffer the same Fred, its nearly the equivalent of dial up some times

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

[link text][1]

[1]: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm if you go and have a look here that will explain a lot

and on the same site is a calculator to give an idea what speeds you should get.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

link textlink text

Tried again to get the links correct

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The problem as down to attenuation.

The longer the length of the copper, the lower the voltage at the end of the wire, this reduces the quality of the signal dramatically, especially if the copper is very old, which is the case in many rural areas.

Check the distance from your exchange here if it's less than two miles you need to speak to your ISP to get them to check the line.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

I've had the guy out, we've done everything we can, I am miles from the exchange and I think the cables were laid by Alexander Graham Bell himself :-(

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Rick'scafe

Have you checked if any ISP has their own equipment in your exchange, listed under LLU.

BT could offer me 2mbit/s, but I'm getting more than 10mbit/s with Talk Talk

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

This is really a Helproom topic

Transferring from Speakers Corner now.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I am in a town, 2 miles from exchange and get 4.5Mbs with AOL (LLU).

As far as I know from various calculators etc that's my lot until area upgraded. Fine for me though.

iPlayer etc work and I am not a big downloader.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK