We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to Assign disk External Disk E: to same letter drive in windows 7 please

julius44

Likes # 0

Hello and good evening to u all. I slight problem that I need proper advice on how to sort out please. I currently have a Windows XP machine....and I use itunes. All my music is stored on the external drive E:, and hence my itunes media location is E.

I'm in the process of getting a new windows 7 desktop, within the next few days,..and on a previous posts ive been told how to do this,so thats ok.

My problem is that i've also been advised that I need to get my new windows 7 desktop to automatically recognize the hard drive as E: drive immediately its connected to my new desktop pc. Now apparently my new desktop will have about 10 usb ports.....so its critical that when I connect my 1tb external hard drive that it PERMANENTLY RECOGNIZES IT AS THE E DRIVE......and NOT as any other drive....I was told there is a feature in windows 7 that can do this....i just need proper guidance please.

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

Click the Start Orb and enter diskmgmt.msc in the search box then click the program when it appears. Right click on the drive and select change driver letter and paths, click the change button and select the drive letter.

If that drive letter is not available another disk has already been allocated to it so move that to another one then try to change it.

Note that Windows will have already allocated a drive letter once you plug it in but I don't know a way of 'pre-assigning it'.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...