We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT Home Hub or Belkin

SURVEY

Likes # 0

I am about to change my ISP from Orange to BT. BT are sending a Home Hub to me but at present I use a Belkin N Router that works satisfactorily. Being N rated I use a compatible N rated Belkin Accessory for my laptop elsewhere in the house. Can anyone tell me if the BT Home Hub is N rated and if I use that will my Belkin N dongle on my laptop be compatible? Is ther any advantage in using the BT Home Hub or should I stick with my present Belkin router and just get the appropriate settings from BT?

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 1

The new BT Broadband Hub V3 which is now being shipped to new customers is Wireless N Compatible. You will have no problem connecting with your Wireless N Belkin Dongle.

Is there any advantage, I would so no. Is there any disadvantage, I would say no also.

Try it and see.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 1

Keep the BT one as a spare - then you wont have the bother of having to set it up.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 1

Perhaps putting a further suggestion for consideration. Some ISP's at times of problems usually refer to routers that they have supplied when resolving service issues. I know my present ISP always asks about the router I use, and states that they give no support facilities to Belkin, and how that product should work on their system.

Recently I had the ISP's own engineer visit, and he refused to install any of my other well known routers, in preference to installing the ISP's supplied replacement.

Like this post
SURVEY

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice, especially noting that the HomeHub is 'N' rated and my Belkin adaptor will work with this. Still not sure whether to use the Homehub or the Belkin.

Like this post
Fingees

Likes # 0

If you use the BT hub, it will enable you to get BT Vision in the future, if you ever wish, with no problem

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 1

I posed this same question a few days ago Click Here and decided to change to the Home Hub for two reasons. 1. As Spuds says if anything goes wrong then BT will want to refer to the settings on their router. 2. One of the ethernet ports for the Home Hub is capable of 1000Mbits/s which matches the capabilites of my motherboard while my current router port is 10/100 Mbits/second and I have my desk top hard wired to the router.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 1

One of the ethernet ports for the Home Hub is capable of 1000Mbits/s which matches the capabilites of my motherboard while my current router port is 10/100 Mbits/second and I have my desk top hard wired to the router.

Which will make no difference.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 1

I have had a ZyXEL router for many years with virtually no problems. About a month ago I changed my ISP to BT who supplied a home hub as part of the deal. I fitted this new router and it worked OK except that it lost contact with the exchange quite frequently, far too often for my liking. I realise I live a fair distance from the exchange, and I dont expect miracles, but I do expect a CONSISTENT service. So I switched back to my old ZyXEL, so far, no more drop outs. Make what you will.........

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK