We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT Home Hub. Reverting to ethernet cable from wireless

Phoenix21
Resolved

Likes # 0

BT Tech Support recently remotely changed my BT Home Hub connection from ethernet cable to wireless, even though the cable is still connected to the Home Hub. Since then, my signal strength has wavered between very low to no signal, and has suffered frequent drop-outs. Can anyone advise me as to how I can re-enable the ethernet cable connection? I am concerned that if I just disable the wireless connection, I will lose all connection to the internet.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Just plug in the cable, it should connect automatically as your user name etc. is already set in the router.

You can then go into network settings and switch the wireless from automatic connect to manual connection or even disable.

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

The cable has never been disconnected, so will it still work automatically if I disable my wireless connection?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes it should still be working and that makes signal strength irrelevant to your speed.

Are you still getting your usual speed?

Like this post
beynac

Likes # 0

You need to disable the Wireless connection and then enable the LAN connection.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Does your computer have a wireless network on/off switch? If so, just switch off the wireless function.

If you can still use the router, your ethernet connection is working.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Both connections should be shown in the bottom right of the task bar.

Wireless symbol (aerial) LAN symbol two monitors

Is either shown with a red cross? Check Nework settings to see if disabled in there before switching off wireless.

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

No need to disable the wireless. I have three machines sharing the same wireless network, but as my desktop is very close to the phone point and therefore the router, I have cabled it. It is still on the wireless network, but has a much more stable internet connection.

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

Many thanks to everyone who has offered advice regarding this problem. My apologies for the delay in replying, but with the help of a friend, it has taken me until now to disable the wireless connection, and to enable the ethernet cable connection. Also, I have been having awful problems in actually posting this response. My previous attempts have not appeared in the thread, thanks to this supposedly "improved" Forum design.

Since enabling the ethernet connection, the blue "wireless" light (third down) on the BT Hub has disappeared, and, probably as a consequence, I am no longer able to connect my laptop wirelessly to my computer. I am worried that if I re-enable the wireless facility on the hub, I will lose the ethernet cable connection that it has taken me so long to replace. Can anyone offer me any advice as to what I should do?

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

The routers that I've encountered will allow wireless and ethernet connections simultaneously. So far as I know, it shouldn't be necessary to disable wireless in order to get one or more ethernet connections.

Like this post
Phoenix21

Likes # 0

My thanks to everyone who has tried to help me. I have now decided to use the Homeplug System to connect my laptop, so the problem is solved.

With this supposedly improved forum lay-out, I'm not sure where to tick that this problem is now resolved. I'll do my best to locate it, but if I cannot find it, please take it as read that it IS resolved.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?