We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Net Framework

highside

Likes # 0

Laptop has Win 7 64 bit as standard - as a matter of interest I ran Win 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if anything Ive added was incompatible. It reported that Microsoft Net Framework 1.1 V1.1.4322 would not work. So why have I got it whatever it is, if it came with the computer why did it if its not compatible and will not work anyway? It is indeed in Add/Remove programs taking up space? Thanks for looking.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

Perhaps its because its an old version. Microsoft .NET Framework 4 can be downloaded from here link text

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Possibly you're running an older software in 32 bit in compatibility mode and it requires that version.

Like this post
highside

Likes # 0

Thanks for replies, I think you are both right - NET FW 4 is also on the machine so most likely rdave13 is correct in that theory. Annoying though that Upgrase Advisor gives details of other things it finds but for its own stuff its just a blanket meaningless statement with no clues or reasons. My first reaction was to delete NET.1.1 if it wasnt any use but that might in fact have preventing something else running?

Anyway of finding out what the offending program (if any) actually is? Would NET 1.1 have been put there automatically by a third party without Win 7 caring? Thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Would NET 1.1 have been put there automatically by a third party without Win 7 caring?

No its a MS update

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Some software needs .net to work. ATI drivers, I think - and a piece of software I used recently, VistaBootPRO, are a couple of examples. Normally, you're required to go and install those yourself before installing the software, but I guess it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that some software installs .net itself if it needs it. Have you installed something that might have automagivally installed .net 1.1 for itself?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015