We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External HD

highside

Likes # 0

Any thoughts please, got a strange problem. Not unreasonbly I store my photo images on external dives and my editing program is on the C drive. I have two freecom (XSS) external USB drives and when I edit photos I very often but not always cant save files within the editing program (Nikon Capture NX2) When this happens if I copy a folder of fifty images onto the C drive all is well and the files can be saved. It was suggested it is a RAM problem so I installed succesfully 8GB - no improvment at all. Have done all the other usual things, deleted cahes and run clean ups, always comes back to the external drives. Would I be better looking into sata connected drives, could the problem be USB orientated or down to a certain make of external drive? All drives have upwards of 300 GB free. Win 7 64 bit. Seldom have any other programs running & no games etc.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Are you just pressing "Save or Save As" then choose directory to save to, i.e Drive or Partition

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

FAT32 or NTFS: Your drive is probably Formatted to FAT32.

Haven't done it for a while but you will need the External Drive to be Formatted to NTFS. Comparatively simple.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

NTFS is not necessary Windows NTFS can read Fat32. But if your Computer Operating System Is Formatted Faqt32 it will not be able to read a NTFS Ex Drive

Like this post
highside

Likes # 0

Sorry didnt explain correctly. File saving not a problem as such, the problem is saving, for example, after adding keywords in editing program the changes will not save. The error message is 'Cannot save File' but it only means the changed file. The original edits can be saved where I want.

The C: Drve is NTFS & Freecom is FAT 32, never noticed until you pointed it out to me.

I suspect the basic problem is probably a bug in the Nikon software just thought I would throw it around and get your ideas to work on in case there could be more ideas, Thanks for replies.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

FAT32 has limits to File Size, File Numbers and length of File Name among other things, not sure what they all are, but I believe that you can change from FAT32 to NTFS while retaining whatever is on the Drive unaffected. Check that one, first, but it is usually recommended to use NTFS if your Hard Drive is NTFS.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to get a free EE Power Bar: Mobile and broadband customers eligible for free smartphone charger

IDG UK Sites

Why Netflix won't terminate your account for using a VPN, probably

IDG UK Sites

Forever 21 denies pirating Adobe, Autodesk and Corel software, accuses companies of 'bullying'

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV 2015 release date rumours: Apple's WWDC invite shows Apple TV