We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MS Malware Removal Tool help

muddypaws
Resolved

Likes # 0

XPHome SP3 FF3.6.16. The above has de-activated my C drive with the (apparently) usual side effects. ie all applications dead. Luckily I successfully re-booted to my Q internal clone on same PC and ran Malware Bytes free and SAS to do a full scan on C. Also used my usual Eusing registry cleaner. None of them found anything. Have searched application data on C for any traces as per a Google search--nothing found. Re-booted from Q to C, but no change--all dead. Any further help would be appreciated. Have not yet all restore points. Thanks.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

buteman Your time is much appreciated. I do have the XP Home CD. I did try the scannow yesterday, but it didn't run and I realise today that I left out the space after sfc. So will try again in a mo. Unable to open TM on C. I see the Re Enable link has a portable version so will put it on a stick and see what happens.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

If you have I386 in C: (or elsewhere) on your PC you can run sfc /scannow by using the instructions given part way through this link text

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

johndrew et al I tried the scannow which asked for the XP CD Professional for some reason, so my XP Home got the 'wrong disc' info. Tried to ignore, but went round in circles. I see your last link instruction shows a window also requesting 'Professional'--is that normal? It also mentions an essential file number for the dll cache, but can't access the CD to get it. Also tried testdisc, but wasn't sure what I was doing in that and didn't want to mess up my clone by accident. I think this is getting beyond my capabilities and am waiting for my local man to call round. Which I doubt will be today. Will keep you all posted. Thanks.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Virtually back to normal. Local man spent nearly 3 hours this morning getting rid of all nasties that were well hidden. I will no longer rely solely on MSE and I downloaded the free offer Kaspersky from Barclays a couple of days back that found a load, but didn't cure it. Three minor details perhaps someone can help me with rather than start new threads. 1. After booting to desktop it then loads the My Computer screen. How do I stop it? 2. How do I make desktop shortcut icons larger? ( Have done it before, but forgotten. 3. How do I make the Outlook Express text in the opening window larger? I have increased font size in the opened message window OK. 4. Thanks.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Re my last; Have solved 2. It was the shortcut fonts I wanted larger not the icons.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

... and by solving 2. I have solved 3. So just the booting to My Comp screen is left. Thanks.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

' I will no longer rely solely on MSE '

Stuff still gets through - I've cleaned computers which were protected by most of the paid for and free software. I personally use MSE and Superantispyware. Back that up with a Malwarebytes scan every once in a while. Had no major problems (apart from a bug which needed the Kaspersky TDSSKiller to remove).

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

For the 'my computer' folder opening, try going to control panel, find 'folder options' then the view tab. Untick the box for Restore previous folder windows at logon.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

rdave13 Thanks, but already unticked.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

After booting to desktop it then loads the My Computer screen. How do I stop it?

Try--- In Windows Explorer or Control Panel, click Tools in the Menu bar, click Folder Options, click View tab, in Advanced Settings list, find and Uncheck "Restore previous folder windows at logon"

Also Run regedit and navigate to:HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon

There should be a value (on right hand side of screen) called Userinit.

The data for this value is probably something like C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

If you do see a duplicated string in there similar to the above - simply double click on the Userinit value and edit the data so as to delete everything to the right of the first comma (,).

In the case above you would leave only:C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK