We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MS Malware Removal Tool help

muddypaws
Resolved

Likes # 0

XPHome SP3 FF3.6.16. The above has de-activated my C drive with the (apparently) usual side effects. ie all applications dead. Luckily I successfully re-booted to my Q internal clone on same PC and ran Malware Bytes free and SAS to do a full scan on C. Also used my usual Eusing registry cleaner. None of them found anything. Have searched application data on C for any traces as per a Google search--nothing found. Re-booted from Q to C, but no change--all dead. Any further help would be appreciated. Have not yet all restore points. Thanks.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

'not yet removed all restore points'.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Worth a try.

1. Turn off computer ,then turn on and start tapping F8
  2. When the Advanced startup options appear Select Safe mode With Networking
  3. Open internet explorer goto google.com ,download Hitman pro "32-bit or 64-bit depending on your Os"
  4. Run Hitman pro ,let this scan the computer
  5. Activate Free Licence
  6. Reboot Pc

Infection Removed..!

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

buteman No luck with that. Found 3 Trojans and 4 Malware. Re-booted and still the same.Got to the blue screen and then get 'XP Anti Virus 2011 Unregistred Version' that keeps scanning. Assume this is malware due to the mis-spelling of 'unregistered' as above. Still unable to switch on MSE and Win Firewall on the C drive. All OK still on Q that I am on now. More suggestions please! Will google the XP AV.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe if you had switched off system restore after the scan that may have got rid of them for good.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I only let it load once and I lost D:\ Drive. I got it back using TestDisk

I now do all my XP updates Manually so I can select What's loaded

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Xp anti spy removal at bleeping computer best instructions around

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS if you run TestDisk it may sort it as it may be the Boot sector that as been changed

Copy Post this link into your browser address bar, as Link Icon is not showing

Must not have fully loaded as I can now use it

link text

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Have you tried the Bleepingcomputer guide?

Dunno how to renable the app .exes but it's fairly common, if it's not mentioned in the guide, someone will know.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Sorry Fruitbat, crossed in post.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Seem to be getting somewhere. I am now back on C drive. I ran SAS in safe mode on C. It found a few more Malware which I quarantined and re-booted. Now at least I am not getting the AV warnings and I have MSE and Security Centre back and all switched on. However All I have on the desktop is a blue screen--all my shortcut icons have gone and clicking on start/ My docs, My Pictures and My Music are all empty. 'My Computer' is still functioning normally. All Progs only shows SAS and Open Office .org I have just been to Control Panel>Display and now have the MS XP desktop up which is only about 6x4" Haven't tried bleeping comp as the problem now appears to be different. Is there a way of getting the desktop back as was. Daren't do a Restore. Haven't done testdisk yet either. Will await your replies to the above first. Thanks for help so far.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Sam Smith, Kylie & more live, for...

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger