We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virus question

igk

Likes # 0

I'm not exactly a newbie at computers but there is no forum for M$ xp. I have a pc that has had a virus this was (as far as I know) now been sorted using MSE,Avg and Malwarebytes,the only problem I'm having is that it refuses to get any security updates from M$ stating that the site is down,well I have another XP machine that has just got it's updates with no problem and my question is can a virus block this and apart from a complete reformat and new XP is there any way to sort this out? Thanks for your time in advance...

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

If you have AVG and MSE that may be the problem.

You should never have 2 AV's running at the same time.

Like this post
igk

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply,I have used both together on other XP machines with no problem, other than the pc refusing to go to M$ XP update site all else works as it should...

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Very unwise to run two AVs together. They generally search each other and lock the PC up. Just because you were lucky with the two running together at a given point doesn't mean that an update to one or both wont result in a lock up.

I suggest you uninstall one then try your updates.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Of course you may not have had a Virus. Your first AV may have seen the second AV as a Virus.

Chose one of the other. 2 AV's on a PC is asking for trouble.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...