We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

startup repair failure

lisa_gedo

Likes # 0

I think i may have downloaded a virus to my desktop!! pc shut down and then started startip repair which failed!

Root cause found - Boot critical file D:\CI.dll is corrupt.

I can't download security updates or run a full anti-virus scan as pc will shut down again and then the loop restarts with the startup repair failure.

During the startup repair the cmd windows is showing Drive X: !!

Quite a few people have mentioned the same on different sites but no-one seems to know exactly how to fix this.

This is a brand new system running windows 7 64 bit

Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Like this post
lisa_gedo

Likes # 0

I think it needs to be returned. It's cannot be software related as I have already done factory reset twice, I also tried chkdsk and got an error : Access denied as you do not have suffiecent privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode !!! (Never seen this one before lol).

thanks for all your help, I think i'll leave this one to Acer

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Elevated command just means you run something as an administrator Then following will show you how to pin a command to the start menu so its easy to get at when you need it. Works for Vista and W7.

• Click on Start button.
    • Type CMD into the Search box.
    • You will see search result with a list consisting of just one entry, that is the shortcut to the Windows Command Processor, cmd.
    • Right-click the cmd shortcut in the search listing.
    • On the pop-up context menu, choose Pin to Start Menu.
    • Click on Start button again.
    • Right-click the Command Prompt shortcut just added to the Start menu and choose Properties.
    • Click the Advanced button to open Advanced Properties dialog box.
    • Click (tick) to select the Run as administrator checkbox so that elevated command prompt is run as administrator by default, and then click OK.
    • Click OK to save the changes.
Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Some good ideas on the W/7 Forum.

Windows7 forum

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

TDS Killer from Kaspersky.TDS Killer

Now the problem is how do you get it from the download on to your computer if you cannot open your computer.

If it is a Virus and you send it back to Acer they will charge you for removing it so maybe only send it back as a last resort.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Do you not have access to a local computer savvy person, who can have a look, so perhaps saving the £100.00 that Acer might want?.

Like this post
lisa_gedo

Likes # 0

I can access my pc, it does come on. I have tried factory reset many times now, the problem only arises when I try windows update, I download the updates and install but as soon as i attempt to restart the pc it goes to start-up repair.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Perhaps a problem with the boot loader. An easy way to view / change the entries is EasyBCD

Download EasyBCD from this link: Download EasyBCD From Neosmart

Make sure the entry reads

Name: Windows 7

BCD ID: (current)

Drive: C:\

Bootloader path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Windows Directory: \Windows

Like this post
lisa_gedo

Likes # 0

i've downloaded easy bcd and it has everything except windows directory:\windows. what do i do with this software?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

It should be fine without it.

Just needed to check that the loader was pointing to windows\system32\winload.exe

Not sure why its still trying to do a startup repair after updates.

Like this post
lisa_gedo

Likes # 0

woohoo pc is now downloading updates so it looks like EASY BCD may have worked. Thank you for all your help :-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...