We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC freezes randomly after all checks done

xania
Resolved

Likes # 0

This is a follow up from http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4036505/problems-with-windows-xp-pc/

Having done all the checks including running CCleaner which got rid of a number of registry problems, I am still having irregular freezes, normally when the PC has been left unused for about 20 minutes. I have taken of all the snooze, sleep and screensaver options (they are all now set at 5 hours rather than never, but the problem is still there.

The only clue I have is that, immedaitely after booting today I ckecked the event log and found a problem which expanded to read:

ID: 6, Application Name: Microsoft Office Outlook, Application Version: 12.0.4518.1014, Microsoft Office Version: 12.0.4518.1014. This session was terminated unexpectedly.

Now I had not started Outlook (which IS normally running when the problem arises) so I'm wondering if the system is trying to do somesort of update of Outlook and failing, and this is what's causing the problem, but I've now run out of ideas.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You could set Updates to Manual, then run it from Startup list

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Not saying this is the answer, but you might have caused the problem through the registry clean-up when you used CCleaner. Registry cleans can be temperamental or to vigorous at times, especially if you leave them to do their own thing!.

Have you got a restore point that you could go back to, and see if that resolves the issue?.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I wouldn't worry about the registry if you have used CCleaner, its the safest registry cleaner around.

I have been using it daily for years without backing up the registry and have had no problems.

Back up your emails (export) and try uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Thanks to all of you for your comments. Not sure why, but I don't seem to be receiving my email alerts that I used to for responses - still learning this new system.

The main problem is that I have had the freeze problem for some time and that is why I used CCleaner in the first place. However, I fear that Fruit Bat /\0/\ may well be right. So - another little problem. The PC is on a network, so Outlook settings/accounts etc are not the same as for stand-alone and I don't have the info to set the account up again. Can I also export (and then re-import) these at the same time?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Event viewer and event log can throw up a lot of red herrings and i tend to disregard their findings.

Have you tried malware check?

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Ran complete virus scan, then checked for disk errors and defraged before running Ad-aware, Malwarebytes and finally CCleaner.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Just to close this thread, never solved the problem so am arrangeing for PC to be wiped down and new OS installed. Will probably use the opportunity to upgrade to 7.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...