We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Burning DVDs Problem

Ex plorer
Resolved

Likes # 0

Double clicking E Drive in my computer shows the photos I want to burn but when I select burn the disk starts-up and the I get the message. (There was an error burning to disk the disk may no longer be usable) The DVDs are Brand new but a couple of years old.

OS Vista. Laptop Samsung R610. DVD CD make, Slim type 610 BD E DS4 E1S

I have tried to Format the DVDs and it cant be done, message I get (Windows was unable to complete the Format.) Quick format is greyed out and set at UDF1 Default.

I have tried Windows burn it gets to 89% and then rejects disk and takes an age of a duck.

I also downloaded Free Easy Burner with same results unable to burn disk.

I have no problem in burning CDs.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The fact that CDs burn fine and DVDs do not means almost certainly that the DVD laser (CDs use a different laser from DVDs) has failed and all you can do is replace the device. Sorry, but it happens.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

northumbria61 Never thought of that thanks I will see what a replacement costs against a portable one. I should be able to fit an internal one ok regardles Thanks again.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Is there a firmware upgrade available, may be worth a look before you trash the drive. You appear to be using RW discs, have you tried non rewritables.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

If you had done a search first you might have seen a Possible cause or solution link text to your problem http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4040784/dvd-burning-issues/#4041568

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

I have now solved the problem by purchasing a further two lots of DVDs to try and burn . Verbatim 8x work fine, OK its cost a few quid in different makes but problem is now solved.

Like this post  
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Glad to see the problem solved.

Just a tip-- DVD's & CD's rely on a dye that loses it's colour after a while, and makes the disk unusable (possibly your problem).

After burning the disk , get apolish (like Turtle Wax Liquid) and apply a thin coat to the DVD, allow to dry and polish with an Anti-static cloth.

This still allows the disk to be read, but the dye is sealed in and so the disks last longer, especially if they are in a well lit area (bright sunshine).

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...