We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TalkTalk Disconnections

ame

Likes # 0

Over the last few months my pc's have been suffering more and more internet disconnections, despite having years of trouble-free service before and not changing anything at home. The phone line is not noisy and both the Belkin F5D7632-4 ADSL and Internet lights stay on during the disconnects. Can anyone tell me why the lights stay on without flashing and where the fault might be as a result? TalkTalk certainly can't sort the problem it would appear, even though I suspect the problem is at their end. When I plug in my old Thomson Speedtouch 330 usb broadband modem I still get disconnections and the ADSL light stays on with that too, so I don't think the router is faulty.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I think you've already established that the problem lies with the ADSL service and not with your own hardware. Your ISP, TalkTalk, needs to get to the bottom of the disconnections issue and fix it.

Like this post
ame

Likes # 0

Thanks mgmcc. Problem seems to get worse in afternoon and evening, so that also suggests bigger problems when their service gets busier. Tried 3 times so far to get TalkTalk to fix it, but no joy so far, despite the problem being "escalated" and my calling the cancellations dept. and saying I will be leaving them if not fixed. They offered to send me an engineer or a free router. Not impressed at all by the technical abilities of the staff at their Indian call centre either. When I tell them both router lights stay on there seems to be an ominous silence and they go off to do checks and say they'll call me back. No difference. All this after many trouble-free years with Tiscali as well! And this morning I am now getting disconnects with the Internet light going off whilst waiting for a call back....none so far. Doh!

Like this post
ame

Likes # 0

Update:- There is something weird here. Cannot access webpages for long due to frequent disconnects but Skype and son's online gaming keep working. How can that be?

Like this post
ame

Likes # 0

Seems to have been the router after all. Bought a new one and disconnections seem to have stopped...so far.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

ame

What are your speeds now since changing the router, have they changed?.

What router did Talk Talk supply, and what have you changed it for?.

Would also mention that if your complaint was escalated to 'higher level complaints', then you should have not been dealing with a call centre in India, but with a 'regional' office here in the UK.

The reason why I have mentioned the above, is because it would be interesting to find out, because I am having long term problems with Talk Talk, on similar issues to yourself.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today