We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook express

glunks

Likes # 0

Hi, I need to prove I was at a certain place at a certain time. I sent an email from this place using outlook express from one of the computers that was linked to the company server. My question is, even if they are smart enough to go through the emails and delete it, can it still be retrieved? Can that email be permanently deleted? Many thanks

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

That email can be permanently deleted from the computer from which it was sent. That's not difficult. It will also be on the computer on which it was received. It can be deleted there too.

If it was, indeed, Outlook Express, a copy will not be likely to be stored anywhere else. There's unlikely to be a file store on the server.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Because of the ease of changing the date and time on a system sending an email its unlikley that an e mail could be used to prove someone was a place and a time

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

glunks

I agree with both of your responders and would like to add to sharpamat's reply. By saying, there cannot be proof in legal parlance, ~ of the specific, named sender ~ being in a certain place at a certain time using where from and/or when an email was sent. If for no other reason than that ~ the said ~ email could have been sent at your behest by another party.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I sent an email from this place using outlook express from one of the computers that was linked to the company server

Forget the E-mail if it was a company server you must have been logged on, provide that this was on a company machine then your IT dept must have a record of when and where (machine) you logged on.

This assumes that know one else knows you user name and password.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow