We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

photos changing colour by themselves

Smokeyone

Likes # 0

In one of my folders some of the photos have either a yellow or green tint or a solid green bar across the bottom half of the photo. It appears to happen in only one folder and upon checking the folder several times I now notice that if I am quick when I open the folder I see the photos change before my eyes. I hope someone has some ideas please. Thanks

Like this post
Smokeyone

Likes # 0

Yes.........just one folder seems to be playing up

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Havung copies the affeccted images to a separate folder- Dowload and install PCInspector- a photo recovery program- and try a recovery.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

SparkyJack - Isn't PCInspector for XP? Does it run in compatability mode in Vista or W7?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Smokeyone

Some years ago I lost most of my work (pictures)that were located on one of two drives in my PC. One drive contained the OS, the other my work. Luckily, in my case I had external back-up drives. Which since then I always makes sure my work is saved three fold.

The reason I lost the pictures was because I'd defragged both drives. After that event, I was told by a friend who was a PC repair guy, that you should always keep your work, data, personal stuff on a separate drive to your OS and never defrag that drive. To this day I never have.

I'm not saying that your problem was caused that way though. I do know that with time the JPG format will deteriorate. The only pictures on my PC that change as I look at them are my GIF's. But they are supposed to do that. If your camera is a DSLR and you use the RAW format, it allows you to change the image time and again without deterioration. But pictures changing colours as you are looking at them, is a new one on me.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

I'm really clutching at straws...

What format are they?

If you transfer the files to another computer, perhaps to someone else by email, do they have the same problem?

Is there any possibility that something nasty has converted them to animations of some sort?

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Smokeyone

Likes # 0

All in JPG format - the problem is still a puzzel...also tried clearing out my pc by passing stuff to a spare external hd - hoped the pc would run better - still no luck - just as a reminder - remember that if I am quick I can see the green bars/colours appearing once I open the file - but not on all the photos just some.....

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

SparkyJack - Isn't PCInspector for XP? I am not aware that it is O/S specific. But you may be correct a Google will reveal several version it seems I will now attempt a link - finger crossed

link text

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...