We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cant access windows update

rocha
Resolved

Likes # 0

For some time now I cant update windows or IE. I'm running XP home and I get a cant display this page message. I cant even access Microsoft.com - same message. I have turned on everything relevant in services and dont believe I have any viruses.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

See if this will open it gives you free support from Microsoft.

link text

Cant think of anything else.maybe go to Services and scroll down to DNS client and set it to automatic.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This rings bells " The date in the certificate is invalid or has expired ". Check the time and date showing on your PC.

Like this post
rocha

Likes # 0

date and time correct. Now found that something is disabling auto updates, error reporting etc. I set them on auto hit apply but next time I switch on they are disabled. Also a new entry to my services "centre microsoft" is there on auto but doesn't run and when I try to start manually get message that it cant start because something else is using a file.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've found a site with the MicrosoftFixit50202.msi installer on it. Never used Dropbox before, just searched for the fix-it file. Whether you want to try it is up to you but the site looks legit. Green from WOT and McAfee site checkers.

Dropbox

Like this post
rocha

Likes # 0

ran the fixit prog - no joy. Any other suggestions gratefully accepted.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

try this

go to START-->RUN

type CMD to bring up the black command window

type ping www.microsoft.com and press enter

see what comes back, if you are able to ping the site and get a response, then try using a different browser.

Also, on found ClickHere who had same problem, seemingly the router was blocking it, which I find strange, but apparently "updating the firmware allowed the computer to access windows update and microsoft sites" so maybe you could try a different router.

Like this post
rocha

Likes # 0

"ping request could not find www.microsoft.com" I'm connected through adsl modem only. No update available.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Scratching head here. So I'd recheck you've no programs that are blocking Microsoft sites. I'd run all my security programs in safe mode. Failing that then I'd contact my ISP for some help. See what they say. Failing that, also, I'd consider an XP repair. Doesn't come without risks, though, so everything must be backed up before you might attempt it.

xp repair Have a study about repairing XP.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What antivirus program do you have? Also which Anti Spyware and Anti malware programs have you run? and did they find anything as I think you have a trojan or two lurking there. Did you switch of system restore and then re-enable it after the scans? Trojans lurk in sys restore points and re-infect at next bootup.

Have you run any online scans such as housecall Trendmicro ClickHere

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Try this

• open Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel
  • select 'Set Program Access and Defaults'
  • select Windows and 'OK"
Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...