We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Install Win7 using AHCI

silver78

Likes # 0

I'm thinking of doing a fresh install of W7 and setting BIOS to AHCI as I'm going to use an SSD. I keep reading up on AHCI but the results are confusing, do I set to AHCI in BIOS before W7 install or after? What effect would it have on my other installed O/s XP?. More importantly is there any real benefit running in AHCI mode as opposed to IDE and are any other drivers required?

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

You need to set the BIOS to AHCI before installing Windows 7. However if you do that your XP installation will BSOD the next time you try to access it. The only benefit I'm finding with AHCI is that it seems to make the TRIM command work more efficiently (assuming the SSD supports TRIM).

You can reset your XP installation to AHCI retrospectively by following the steps here

If you want to switch a Vista or Windows 7 installation from AHCI to IDE or vice versa then Microsoft have released this excellent tool

Like this post
silver78

Likes # 0

I am Spartacus

Thanks for the info, I had a look at the XP work-around but it seems to apply to Intel boards, mine is an AMD based system. Not to worry tho' it wouldn't be a hassle if I re-installed XP using AHCI on a different SSD. I do like playing around with various installs (it keeps Win Validation on its toes :)

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more