We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hidding my details using remote desktop

tippy21

Likes # 0

Hi,

Are there any bofins out there that can help.

I know that when you surf the web, websites can log your IP & MAC address.

If you get my jist, I don't want my laptop to be flagged on a few web sites I have been on.

My plan is to use another pc, that has a wireless braodband dongle from a mobile phone company.

The pc will be attched to the wireless router via eithernet, but banned from access the web via the router.

This way I can connect remotley from my laptop.

So my question is. Will they still be able to see my laptop?

Thank you all

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If what you're doing is to "remote control" a PC from the Laptop, with the PC connecting to the internet with a mobile broadband connection, this doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Why are you not just using the PC itself, or connecting the mobile dongle to the Laptop?

Plugging a USB dongle into the Laptop won't reveal either the IP address used when previously connecting with the router, or the MAC address of any network adapters in the Laptop. In any case, while connected via the router, the MAC address that was connected to the internet would have been the router's WAN MAC address, not the MAC address of the Laptop's network adapter(s). The Laptop's IP address would have been a LAN address probably with a 192.168.x.x address. That isn't an internet address and would be no different from that used by millions of other computers in Local Area Networks.

Your Laptop itself was never "visible" when connected via a router. What was visible was the router and the IP address allocated to it by the ISP.

Like this post
tippy21

Likes # 0

Thank you for your reply.

Can you help a little further.

The websites that I am speaking off are bookies and they can tell if you have more than one account somehow by the computer you are using.

This is what I am trying to mask. You hear of many websites placing some software on our computers and the bookies also ask that cookies be accepted.

If this is what they want to do that's fine, but instad of having a bulky tower, keyboard and monitor around, I wouls like to us Remote Desktop so I can have the tower under the bed.

Like this post
zeefunn12

Likes # 0

best postig, nice blog & forum keep it up. seo tips

http://tipsmap.com

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I don't know what, if anything, the sites you are visiting install in the computer.

As they are "bookies", it may have been necessary to install something to be able to use their service. Normally with sites that you have to log into your account with, there is a simple option to log out again. You can certainly delete any cookies, usually by going into the 'Options' of whichever browser you're using.

Like this post
ashleycardwell94

Likes # 0

if it against the rules, i advise that you dont do it. Also, it could be cookies, web browser type and operating system type that they check. No software is installed without your permission. Couldt you just use a proxy site to hide your ip and mac address?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good