We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why won't Firefox open any windows?

judyl68

Likes # 0

All of a sudden for the last few days Firefox will open tabs but won't open any windows. A lot of websites require a window to open but nothing is working...if I go on EBAY and click "enlarge" under a picture, nothing happens. Its the same if I go on a website like SUPAPRICE...it shows all the items, but when I click on them to view them or if I click on "go to store", nothing happens. I've got a button on my FF browser to share stuff on FB but even that wont work but it normally opens a window. Also I'm having trouble with the search engine (which I have set to default Google)...sometimes it will work and sometimes I click on it and nothing happens. When this occurs, I have to use the Yahoo search engine in my Yahoo toolbar. I'm using Windows 7 and Firefox 3.6.17. I don't want to upgrade to Firefox 4 cos I've heard so many bad things about it. I'd appreciate any help you can give me to sort this out.

Like this post
judyl68

Likes # 0

THANKS.

Like this post
judyl68

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice 124, but another problem I forgot to mention is that if I try to right click on FILE, EDIT,VIEW,HISTORY, BOOKMARKS, TOOLS or HELP, the box doesn't appear properly..all I get is an outline at the right hand side and bottom of the box, and I can't see the words in the box. Same thing happens if I highlight any words and I can't see COPY, PASTE, SELECT etc. so I can't try your advice cos I can't see the word OPTIONS. I just don't know what to do.

Like this post
Technocrate

Likes # 0

Inability of Firefox to unload the Webpages may be just that it takes too long a period to load the pages giving you the appearance of a hang. It can also be stuck with what is known as “infinite loop” from which it can not come out, due to a badly coded Java script. These can be managed by closing the site that caused the problem or disabling JavaScript but website may not work without JavaScript. A poorly designed website could also make the Firefox hang and prevent from loading WebPages. Similarly, if Firefox hangs due to a plugin in the site with Java, Flash or Adobe the problem could lie in the associated plugin. get more help and information http://browser.iyogi.com/firefox/firefox-not-loading-pages.html hope this helps you.

Like this post
judyl68

Likes # 0

Thanks Technocrate,

I managed to resolve the issues a couple of days ago...it was a Firefox add-on that was causing the problems. I put FF into Safe Mode and didn't have any issues so I reverted to "normal" FF and diabled the add-ons one by one, restarting the computer each time. Eventually I found the add on that was causing the problems and deleted it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...