We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HDMI Problem

ened

Likes # 0

I plugged my HDMI cable into both laptop and TV.

A box appeared on both screens offering three options. One was use both screens simultaneously and the one I opted for was TV live and Laptop [screen] turned off.

I now wish to change this but cannot find a way back to those options.

I thought about a System Restore but the most recent Restore Point was last November and I am reluctant to go that far back.

I need to change this back because once the cable is plugged in I cannot revert back to the laptop even if I unplug the [HDMI] lead.

Can some kind soul point me in the right direction because I have looked everywhere and am beginning to think it was a one off setting.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Which laptop?

There is probably a function key that will allow you to toggle between these settings eg laptop + TV, laptop only, TV only. The TV will be treated as an external monitor.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Hi Woolwell

It is a Compaq CQ60.

If you are correct it is no wonder I couldn't find the solution in Windows.

One thing though, I turned it on and it failed to boot into Windows. Not realising this I was just about to plug in the HDMI cable (thinking it had booted and was still trying to use the tv) when I turned it off. As I turned it back on I got the Repair screen, although I opted for booting normally and it has been alright since, apart from this problem that once connected to the tv it will not revert back.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

One more question I would like answering: is it okay to connect the HDMI when the machines are running?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

This is for Vista but should be the same for W7 - How to set up tv You will want either mirrored or extended desktop. Looking for which function key.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Try F5 - it should have 2 rectangles/monitor symbols on it.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

I have really messed it up and am currently back on my main machine.

I inadvertently enabled both tv and monitor (seemingly as one screen rather than mirror) and was all over the place. I am running a System Restore to the one I created earlier, hoping that will at least get me back to where I was.

Once I achieve that I shall start looking for the key you mention.

Thanks for your help with this.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Okay.

System Restore didn't restore the original Display settings but the F4 key toggled the display in use.

I have now managed to access all options.

Thanks very much Woolwell

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room