We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Helpful scan - maybe?

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

MS sent me an e-mail with a link to their Microsoft Security Scanner. It is free standing and, although a bit long winded, may be of help to any who believe they may be infected.

Have a look - it's free link text

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Why would Micro$oft send you an e-mail(??)and a link to a site.? Sounds fishy to me.Methinks a scam.???

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Scam? Not if you know johndrew

Like this post  
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

daz - I don't think so. If you go to the MS site, the scanner is there.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

link text

I share Daz60's doubts, - scroll down to last article in the link, unless johndrew has subscribed to the Microsoft service.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmm, see what byou mean. The email could be dodgy, but the site seems genuine.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Both the e-mail - I do subscribe to MS Security - and the product are genuine, so for those with concerns be assured.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

'Tis Microsoft.

'Tisn't a scam.

However, it is a big download, and I'm not sure it will add much to the AV world. It can be downloaded on one machine, and run off a CD on another. I believe it doesn't have any install, so should help machines that are pretty gummed up.

I suspect it will use the same AV engine & database as Microsoft Security Essentials.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

I had no idea you could subscribe to M$,so i apologise to johndrew. It has been shown to often, how a scam could work.I tend to err on the sceptical side.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear S (Solo) curved-screen smartwatch confirmed: release date, price and specs UK

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks