We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Pc sending out spam emails

SB23

Likes # 0

Something has got through onto my pc, and is sending out emails with links to people in my address book. It started at 1.20pm today, and has so far sent about 30 emails. The links all vary slightly but basically take you to sites that sell medicines. Any ideas on how to stop this, as I scanned last night and all came back clear and ok.

Thanks

Steve

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I very much doubt that your Pc is originating these but it is more likely that someone has got hold of your e-mail address and is spoofing that they are from you. Regret that this is fairly typical and very difficult to stop without changing e-mail address. Is this hotmail? If so change password.

Download and run Malwarebytes Free version and run that. Also do a thorough anti-virus scan.

Like this post
SB23

Likes # 0

Its not Hotmail but an Aol account, and according to my sent folder they are all from me.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Webmail? If so immediately change your password as someone may have hacked into your account.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

In your Address book put a x at the end of every address only remove it when you send a Mail

Like this post
SB23

Likes # 0

woodchip, thats a brilliant idea, thankyou. Although I have just deleted my whole address list as, most of them were "auto added", which I have just turned off.

I'm glad I noticed this today, because, so far, thankfully of the 30 plus that were sent, 29 have come back to my spam folder with the Mailer-Daemon issue. I have also just changed my password too.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

So it worked, Good

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS you have a bogeyman in your PC, you need to find out where it is. This most likely came to you by opening an attachment or Mail that you did not know

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS

They do this so they can flood a Site with Spam to close them down and give them an headache, some one they do not like but as its from your PC they do not get traced

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded