We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem clearing garbage from IE9

TonyV
Resolved

Likes # 0

A couple of days ago I could not fire up IE9. The error message came up with a strange file name that could not be found! It was a hieroglyphic type name with .*xe as it's extension. The only way to get it functioning again was to un-install and reinstall.

In so doing, I now cannot get rid of all the garbage left in the system when I close down IE9. I have to do it manually. Before the problem, I always made sure that the "Empty Temporary Internet Files when browser is closed" was checked and that always got rid of the files, leaving just the accepted cookies and the Favourite Icons in the Settings/Files.

Any one any ideas as to how I can revert back to emptying the files each time I close IE9 down? (Win 7 64 and 32 bit.) It is the same in IE9 32 or 64bit!

Thanks

TonyV

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Just checking on all the stuff left behind, and there must be something like 99% of it related to the PCA site and is covering all sorts of background information. I suppose the next question is "Why the PCA site?"

TonyV

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Download and run CCleaner

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

rawprawn

I already have CC, but running that will only take them off that time. The next time I run IE9 they will all reappear won't they? This would mean that every time I run IE9 and close it, I would have to run CC to get rid of all the garbage left behind!

There must be something it the Security/Privacy settings which would do the trick, but I just cannot see it!

Thanks

TonyV

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

As I thought, just ran CC and then ran IE9, everything has come back again!!

TonyV

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Run "Registry" as well as Cleaner.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

rawprawn

Have done!

TonyV

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Have now got rid of IE9 and IE8 is doing what I expected IE9 to do.

I may try IE9 again sometime in the future. I have to say I prefer IE to the other offerings since I do not get the slow loading black elements with IE.

Will close this now.

TonyV

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow