We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Missing HD space

second best

Likes # 0

Hi, i'm clearing out my drives to free space.

I have a 640 HD with 100gig partition for C

My Comp showing C as being 97 gig, with 23 gig free. Programs are 19gig, windows folder is 19.5 gig, my documents folder is only 10 megabyte tops, but If i go into C drive root folder, and select users, find my account and right click, it's showing 6.4 gig, but then when i go into it it's only about 10meg

Where is the other 30 or so gb?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

May be Restore Points, If your PC is running OK go to System Restore and Turn it off then back on, this clears old restore points make a new point. Then set the Hard Drive to use about 5 to 7% of the drive. You only need restore Turned on for the Operating system Partition. As that is the one that will fold if its going to

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Check recycle bin is empty.

Disabling hibernate will free upto a couple of gigs. (c:\hiberfil.sys)

Pagefile may take up a lot but best left alone.

Turn on hidden and system files for a better idea but don't go around deleting stuff if you don't know what it does.

Like this post
second best

Likes # 0

Ok thanks fellas.

I use Ccleaner. I've already turned off System Restore as part of my cleaning, but it's back on now as of last night.

as for pagefile i've no idea what to do with that, and Hibernation; I'll look into it.

Seems common as a problem so i'll pu it down to maybe hidden files and folders, but 30 gig or more seems like a lot.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Hibernate

Pagefile is on your hard disk and is used when RAM is full. If you have the wrong setting the computer does not have enough memory and will run like a dog.

So that's why best not touch

Hidden etc

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...