We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Registry Mechanic – worth having?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good morning, one and all,

I have seen an offer for this and I was wondering if it is worth buying! I know there are many 'free' - and some that are not so - programmes that there are serious arguments for not buying, but.................

I am not convinced either way, so I am looking for some advice, please. Has anyone got a 'for' - or just as important - or an 'against' this?

PS Anyone having trouble with posting? This is my second attempt at posting this query!

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

There are arguments for and against registry cleaners, while good ones can help keep things running smoothly bad ones can be a right royal pain in the posterior. They all however tend to make ludicrously optimistic claims as to their efficacy. Personally I find a couple of the freebies that are available seem safe to use and as good or better than some of the off the shelf alternatives and have never seen the need to buy one. Options :- CCleaner, Comodo or Glary

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I am like you, Last good one I used was Norton Utilities That I used on Win98

I do use Cleanup to clear Web Tracers

link text

PS I don't use Ccleaner as I think it can remove things that are needed

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have used Registry Mechanic, but found that it didn't warrant space on my computer system.

If you want to try it, then there are or were free time limited trial downloads available on the internet. But follow any instructions first, before using.

As mentioned CCleaner will do the job, and you might consider (as an experiment) Advanced System Care or an IObit product like Security 360.

Majorgeeks.com or Filehippo.com might have the latest downloads, if you want to look them up!.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Some fairly average reviews here.link text

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I used Registry Mechanic round about its 2007 version and at at the time you could get it for free if you looked carefully on the PC Tools site. I never had trouble with it but stopped using it once PC Tools became part of Symantec and they started charging for it. Ccleaner which I use now appears fine and I have never had problems with that side of it but I continue to have problems with Ccleaner clearing out the avatars for my Messenger contacts when using the cleaning mode.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

plenty of good free ones like

WinASO

Eusing

IObit Advanced windows Care ver 4

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Gentlemen,

Many thanks to you all for your replies and thoughts. I think the consensus is : Don't bother!!

Many, many thanks

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

OKAY - Can someone tell me how do I tick this as resolved, please?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Click on the Gray tick that is near enough what you expected and it should turn green

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Registry Mechanic – worth having?

No

Use the registry tool in CCleaner, free and much safer + CCleaner wil do other things for you aswell, such as clear rubbish files from your system, allow you to manage start up items and uninstall restore points etc.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded