We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Freezes

matofthemint

Likes # 0

Dell Inspiron E1505

Windows XP Pro, sp 3

Of late almost every time I turn on my machine Windows will load but only about half way and then it freezes. I have discovered that before I shut down to create a Restore Point. Then when it freezes I can go to Safe Mode and use the Restore Point to restart and then Windows functions properly.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It may be the hot whether we have been getting, If its not a New PC check inside round CPU Heat-sink for dust and muck

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

It could be a windows update problem.Try switching Windows automatic updates off the next time you create a restore point in safe mode and see if that makes any difference.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Does it boot OK into safe mode from F8? I don't mean last good configuration from F8 but into safe mode itself.

Like this post
matofthemint

Likes # 0

It boots just fine in Safe Mode from F8, that's where I have to go to get the restore point. I was not given a choice to create a Restore Point in Safe Mode, only restore.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

You can't create restore points in safe mode. The saved restore point you select when in safe mode are there any details showing on the restore calendar for that restore point which might give a clue as to when that point was made, perhaps before installing or updating something, or does it just say system checkpoint

link text

Have a look in msconfig Startup Tab how many items ticked?

link text

What security software are you using anti-virus, firewall etc, added any new security software lately? Have you tried running your anti-virus in safe mode?

Have you had a look at the diagnostic/selective clean boot startup mentioned by I24 earlier and selectively adding more startup items until the problem begins again?

link text

link text

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Second link Msconfig Startup tab link again

link text

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Have a look in Windows Event Viewer to see if you have any yellow or red errors showing there.

Just click Start button, then Run, type in the Run box eventvwr and click OK.

In the Event Viewer window on the left hand narrow pane single click on the word Application, in the larger right hand pane Application events will now show in chronological order, you'd be looking for ones at boot time if they show, scroll down the list looking for any red or yellow error or warning markers, double click on any errors to get more details.

Later do the same by single clicking on the word System in the narrow left pane and see system errors in the right pane Close any windows with the normal X in the top right corner when finished.

Also do you know if anything is scheduled to do a scan at startup, perhaps your anti-virus? Could perhaps be causing startup problems, in which case stop that full scan schedule in its properties.

Disconnecting or switching off any external devices make any difference?

Perhaps a process of elimination by unticking some or all of the ticked items in the Startup tab in msconfig and seeing if you can boot normally with them unticked if you can then putting ticks back in one at a time and rebooting in between until the problem starts again Make a note of all ticked items before you start doing anything like that, so you know what was ticked and what wasn't.

If none of that works, you maybe able to run sfc /scannow if you have an installation disk.

Like this post
matofthemint

Likes # 0

Les28, I appreciate your help and suggestions and will get back to you on them as soon as I can. It's going to take a while to go through it all.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

matofthemint, I'm off on holiday for a week from this Friday so take your time, no problem, probably someone will have sorted it out for you when I get back.

With your pc starting up OK in safe mode, it looks like it may be a software problem, perhaps something or more than one thing running at startup and causing problems, hence the idea of eliminating startup items in msconfig etc to maybe locate which one or ones are causing a problem, if any. Just stick to the Startup Tab in msconfig for the minute, if still having problems maybe need to carefully look at the non microsoft Services tab in msconfig later.

Not always but quite often security software can cause these kind of things.

I assume you're OK for free hard drive space and ram memory and do a certain amount of tidying up, ie run disk cleaner and defragging and occasionally check the hard drive for errors using windows error checker in XP.

Always worth having a look in Windows Event Viewer, there's nearly always a few errors or warnings in there that's fairly normal, it's constantly recurring errors or warnings you want to be looking for if any, Les.

Like this post
matofthemint

Likes # 0

I did a BIOS update from Dell and that seems to have taken care of the problem - at least so far. I appreciate your support and help, thanks so very much.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New Amazon Kindle Fire HD6 and Fire HD7: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room