We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

RAM

highside

Likes # 0

My HP Dual Core Laptop can accept 8GB RAM (presently 4GB with 2 GB per slot) How much of the 8GB would actually be used if I fit it? Thank you

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Depends on a number of factors. What is your operating system, are you into gaming, do you have many software applications working in the background etc etc.

Increased RAM can be very helpful, but it can also be overkill if there is no real need for it.

Most of my machines have 1GB/2GB max, which I find is more than adequate for my non-gaming but average needs.

Like this post
jimv7

Likes # 0

3.25 for a 32bit system and all 8 for a 64bit system.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Like this post
highside

Likes # 0

Thanks, Stupidly didnt mention its Win 7 64 bit, only reason (well important to me)is to make my Nikon Capture NX2 Imaging software a bit faster. Really needs all it can get especially as mainly for RAW files. As I understand it if, say 4GB is present only about 3 is actually available to end user? Just wondered about if 8 is in situ.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

With 64 bit then all of your 4Gb should be available unless any is taken up for graphics. It is only with 23 bit that the max is about 3.25 Gb.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I suspect that increase of RAM will not make much difference as you only have a Pentium Dual Core T4300. But may be wrong others who process raw may be better to advise.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks