We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Video syncing

tullie
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am in the process of copying VHS tapes to my PC,for transfer to DVD.The audio is a couple of seconds behind video.Anyway i can correct this?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I had lots of problems with this in the Past, it was a Hardware Problem, But you also can, depend on the software Editing Program you use.

With VHS got over that one by using a VHS Analogue to USB Video Capture Cable and software

Like this it also lets you capture stills by pressing the button on it

link text

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Thanks for the answer Woodchip.I have used such a device to capture onto my computer.It is the captured MPEG that has the problem.I might try a conversion to AVI to see if this helps.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Most video editing software allows for re-synching audio video, even windows own movie maker allows "nudging" of the audio to realign it with the video, unfortunately in most versions of windows, windows own movie maker won't accept input of mpeg2 files which I'm guessing yours are.

The only reason I could think of to convert to an avi format is that movie maker will probably accept the avi and you could adjust the synch in movie maker, however on the other hand as you are already in mpeg2 format and your dvd video will be in mpeg2 (VOB) format it's not ideal to go changing formats and then back again if not absolutely needed as there can be quality loss doing that.

I used to capture to my video editing program in mpeg2 from my old analogue camcorder using a pinnacle capture card fitted into the pc, my vid editing prog allowed for editing of mpeg2 and resaving edited wok as an mpeg2 file which I'd burn as a dvd disk.

I'm not sure whether a free trial of Video Redo will allow for audio video realignment of the original mpeg2, might be worth a try.There are plenty of other vid editing progs with free trials online which will accept mpeg2 input and allow for re-synching audio video.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Video redo is Fully working and will sync .Be aware though the sync may not be the same through the whole file .It can be along and tedious task You would be better going to a dvd recorder firstif possible as its the best and easiest way to go

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone,i have converted to AVI for the time being,and will look at DVD conversion when time permits.

Like this post  
Number six

Likes # 0

Not entirely sure about this, but the way I understand it is that AVI is merely a "container" format which allows for easier editing of video files, in this case MPEG2. Conversion from MPEG to AVI and back again in itself should not result in any degradation of quality, as it does not re-code the data. eedcam: is this correct?

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Number Six correct it is only a container and there are several format variants within I'm sure it can degrade as there is re encoding not to mention compressing and expanding and most decent softare will edit Mpeg2 even Old dvd shrink can cut a nd shunr

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert