We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard drive

ronniex

Likes # 0

Hi, I have an old pc,and the power suply has gone . On the hard drive i have a lot of stuff mainly pics i want. I have taken the drive out and managed to conect it to my lap top with a sata to usb converter cable.My laptop does see the drive as drive G but says its empty. I have managed to get some pics of it useing recover my files sofware off the web (freeware)but it only lets you save a gig of data .Is there any other way my windows 7 laptop can see the contents of the drive without it saying it needs reformating. cheers ronnie

Like this post
letsgetrdy

Likes # 0

Try looking in disk management and seeing if you can assign it an alternate drive letter.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

You do not say what software you used, but Recuver is good and free.

Disconnect the harddrive fron the laptop, download and install Erasus, then reconnect the other harddrive. Attemp to recover the the harddrive to the laptop, not the one you are trying to recover from otherwise it will not work properly

http://www.easeus.com/

Like this post
ronniex

Likes # 0

thanks terry for the advice,but it didnt work.Changing the drive letter that is.Looks like ill have to buy the full version of the software.It did however make me learn a bit more,as im a novice at this sort of thing.The hard drive is RAW so i think thats why i cant see the data on it.Cheers anyhow

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Showing RAW Ok its lost its file system or mbr

try running chkdsk / f on the drive

you should be able to run disk checking tools from Computer

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

"SATA to USB converter" you say, it depends a bit on your definition of "Old" but I doubt the old Drive was SATA.

There may be your problem.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Your drive might be a Pata not a sata, post us all the sticker information oon the drive itself so that we can determine it.

Like this post
ronniex

Likes # 0

hi, the drive is sata.when i say old i mean in computer terms,old is more than 2 years,well 6 months come to that. like i said, i have managed to get a gig of pictures off the drive using the freeware software easeus.seems like i need to buy the full working package,well the serial key.Just thought there might have been a way to do though windows thats all. thanks for all your input though ronnie

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

For free date recovery, the best Ive found is Mini Tool Power Data Recovery, its free for home use and no limit on amounts recovered either.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I'd install the old drive in an External Drive Case eBay and read it from there. Make sure that you have the correct Size of Drive Bay and Connection.

The advantage of that route is that you will then have a spare External Drive for less than a £10.00, to use for a Back-up.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Easyrecovery http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoverylite/ Testdisc http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback