We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

pc upgrade or new pc ?

tictax

Likes # 0

Hi i have a pc that is about 3 1/2 yrs old spec PROCESSOR intel core2 duo E6850 (2x3.00ghz) 1333mhz FSB/4MB L2 cache MOTHERBOARD ASUS PSK SE:DDR2,SATAII,PCI-e x 16, 2PCI,3xPCI-e1 MEMORY(RAM) 2048MB CORSAIR DDR2 667MHZ GRAPHICS 512MB GEFORCE 8600GTS PCI EXPRESS HARD DRIVE 160GB ATA II HARD DRIVE 8MB CACHE (7200RPM) IT HAS A 500W POWER SUPPLY AND RUNS WINDOWS VISTA its a family computor and is used alot especially for gaming i am uncertain as to it is worth upgrading or getting a new tower. i was thinking of upgrading to 4MB RAM , 500GB HARD DRIVE and a better grafics card though i'm struggling to find a card that may be compatable not upto date with he new cards and what systems they'll work with the hard drive and ram are quite cheap i can get them for arround £80 its just the card another alternative is to buy the same card again and have two cards running. or would it be better to bite the bullet and buy a new Pc If anyone can help i would be very gratefull thanks

Like this post
letsgetrdy

Likes # 0

I would suggest getting another 2gb of ram for your current PC and a new graphics card. A new HDD too if its needed. Your CPU and Mobo are ok in most gaming situations. Even just keeping your current system and getting a second hand GTX260 or 280 would give you the desired boost. Both would work in your current system as they use PCI-E slots. 500w will cover both.

Like this post

Likes # 0

I think it's worth upgrading along the lines you suggest

Have you the disk for the operating system?

Like this post
tictax

Likes # 0

Hi thanks for your replys yes i still have my original operating disc so its just a matter of swoping hard drives and installing vista etc though maybe i can piggy back the 500gb hard drive with my original 160gb hard drive thanks for your help

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings