We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

AVG Corrupt

moorephil

Likes # 0

My AVG Antivirus has become corrupt it seems and I cannot remove it. Either from its owm uninstall or in add and remove progs(windows XP sp3) Even from a avg removal tool did not work either.

Windows security alerts that Automatic updates is not on and AVG antivirus cannot be found. Is this a virus of some kind? Any help, thanks.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

maybe either try a system restore to when it was working or download Revo Uninstaller to remove it.If using Revo only uninstall the things in thick black.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I should have said before you can remove AVG you usually have to stop AVG from Running.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If auto updates not on, I suspect a virus. If system restore no good, try running Malwarebytes.

Like this post
moorephil

Likes # 0

thanks buteman I will try your suggestions OntheLimit1 Ive tried running Malawarebytes, this did not work, I am currently running Emisoft Antimalaware. It must be a registry prob.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Have you tried Revo Uninstaller, free version ?

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revouninstallerfree_download.html

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If malwareBytes does not work and AVG it looks like you may have a bad infection .Try this it has worked for a few others.

1. Turn off computer ,then turn on and start tapping F8
  2. When the Advanced startup options appear Select Safe mode With Networking
  3. Open internet explorer goto google.com ,download Hitman pro "32-bit or 64-bit depending on your Os"
  4. Run Hitman pro ,let this scan the computer
  5. Activate Free Licence
  6. Reboot Pc

Infection Removed..!

Like this post
moorephil

Likes # 0

Hi Buteman,

tried Hitman Pro in safe mode but has still not removed the infection.

What else could I try?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Download your New AV, but do not install it > Re-load AVG > RE-load AVG's Removal tool > Get Off-line > Use the removal AVG's Tool to remove AVG > Use CCleaner to clear any stray Registry Entries > Install your new AV > Get back on-line and update your new AV.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You haven't anything to lose by running Kaspersky's online scan or their virus removal tool see Kaspersky

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room