We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Partioning Problem

Legslip

Likes # 0

My pal has just purchased a new Samsung laptop running Win 7. On setup it prompted a partioning of the HD. I presume the obvious reason was so that Win7 & any progs remain on one sector and personal data on the other. How can we ensure that all personal data is prompted to save to the 'D' partition by default?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It not just for Data, Is the System recovery Partition. So after they are made they are best left alone

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Programs that he uses, when he does a Save To, he needs to choose the other partition,preferably creating folders for each programs backup like photos in one folder docs in another, and create folders within folders

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Programs that he uses, when he does a Save To or Save as not just Save as that's for files that as already been created, he needs to choose the other partition, preferably creating folders for each programs backup like photos in one folder docs in another, and create folders within folders

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Woodchip.

Used to the old XP setup with My Docs. The partitioning has created the C: drive at 110Gb and the D: drive at 170gb. Should I setup a My Docs folder & sub folders on the D: drive and save everthing to them?

I24 - that looks useful!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You can do but there is a way of directing them from the ones that are default. This is if you create a lot of Docs in such as Word Rather than just drag and drop. So that save as can default to D:\ Folders.

This may help link text

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Forgot to Add, as you have got a lot of room on D:\ When loading software it may be a good idea to choose Custom Install when loading and put it on the D:\ Drive. Create a Folder with the Program name first on the drive and Custom install to that folder. Otherwise just custom Install to D:\ will put it in the route folder and you do not want that

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Woodchip. Up to your usual excellent standard. Fink I'll jast save personal docs, photos, music etc to D and use C for Windows & Progs. Does that sound sensible?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Well you do have room on both partitions for doing it that way, but if you use Acronis TI it will take longer to create a Image of C the more you have on it. One thing is if you also use TI you could chop the C:\ in two so that the OS as a Smaller partition, this would not affect your Restore and you would have a TI Image to restore from anyway.

PS TI Images are a better bet than Manufactures Restore CD's.

But do make sure they work after creating any

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014