We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Defrag increases used space?

EFC1878

Likes # 0

I am using Windows 7 and was surprised yesterday when running a defrag my used space went up by 5 gb is this right?

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Sometimes problems losing space if running a third party defragger, not windows own defragger and running a backup program at same time. Don't know whether any of these apply.

link text

link text

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just ran W/7 defrag this morning after the defrag all it says is 0% defrag and gives no further information so not got a clue as to what it did.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Not at all sure about value of defragmenters. If you run one version then different software versions they will all come up with a different analysis which is a puzzle and can be seen on the visual types where different coloured squares are rearranged. Either files are defragmented or they are not? This is apart from re-arranging file sequence for quick access which I suspect is the reason for increasing disc space useage.

Any views on best version to use?

Like this post
karn

Likes # 0

You could try running a diskcleanup and chkdsk and then defragging. The space used up could be due to restore points. I have faced a decrease of space post a defrag in Vista. Once I deleted the restore points and restarted, it was back. I then changed to one of the automatic commercial defragmenters which I have set to run in the background. Following that I have had no defrag related problems.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Only way to find out is by checking what C:\ as got on it before you defrag then check it after by right click C:\ Properties

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I have had the same happen to me reglarily and the answer has always been the build-up of restore points. You can test this by removing all the restore points and then defrag and you will instantly see a big difference. Do not forget to switch restore back on again afterwards and create a restore point.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Rather than deleting all restore points maybe just reduce points saved to only keeping last restore point and see if that recovers your missing space

link text

Like this post
Bill R TechSpec

Likes # 0

I have heard of this issue when running the built-in defragmenter or sometimes when using freebie defraggers that can't deal with system files or restore points.

Here is a procedure I devised to recover "lost disk space":

1. Ensure the Hard Disc Drive is not damaged or faulty. Solution - Run CheckDisk: a. Start> Computer >select C Drive>Right Click C Drive>select "Properties">"Tools" > click "Check Now"> Select both boxes and click "Start". b. This can take a long time, so let it complete (may take all night or longer. Be patient.)

2. Do a disk Clean Up a. Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleanup (click to open); b. Let the utility analyze and report what space can be recovered; c. Check the boxes of the items you want to remove so the space can be recovered (if you Hi-Lite each item, a description of it appears in the "Description Box").

3. Get good Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware programs (AVG is good for Anti Virus, but so is Microsoft Security Essentials; MalWare Bytes is a good, free anti malware program -- see links below. Get Malware Bytes and install it. If you are going to change AV, remove the old one first).

AVG AntiVirus: http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition-2011/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

MalWare Bytes: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

a. Download any needed anti malware programs and install so you end up with one Anti Virus and one AntiMalware program b. Run a complete (full) SpyWare scan (MalWare) and handle whatever it finds. c. Run a complete Virus Scan and handle whatever it finds.

1. Next, ensure the Registry is clean and the disk's clutter is also cleaned out. Solution: Get and run a good registry cleaner. a. Check to see if there is a registry cleaner already on the system; b. if none, get CCleaner at http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/ c. Run the Registry cleaner till it finds and corrects all errors d. Run the "Cleaner" to analyze the disk and see what it finds to delete and then delete the files that are not needed (most of the files it finds are unneeded, but look through the categories to be safe). This cleaner is more thorough than the Disk Cleanup above) e. In CCleaner, under "Tools", go to "Start Up" and look over the programs that start up on your PC. You may see a lot of programs that simply do not need to start up when you first boot up your PC. Disable these and leave only the essential ones (if not sure, note down the program name and then try to open it up via Start-> All Programs. If not essential, disable them). These are big "RAM Eaters" and many times are not needed at start up -- if you do need to use them, you can start them up as needed.

2. Run a good disk defrag. If you use the computer more than occasionally, the built-in may not cut it and it may cause the issue you are trying to resolve. Consider downloading a free trial of a third party commercial defrag tool.

Third party programs are more robust and many work in the background so you can use your PC while defragging.

Most third party programs offer a free, fully-functional trial (the better ones are for 30 days).

Below is a recent Top 10 Reviews side-by-side comparison of the best defrag programs available.

Defrag Reviews: http://disk-defragmenter-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

a. Select a program and install it. The better defrag programs are automatic and the top placers in the above review can defrag while using the PC. The top placer was the only defrag program that prevented fragmentation (see the review). You can get a free trial for the gold medal winner via the review or here:

Gold medal defrag winner: http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag

b. Defragment your disk drives. The best defrag programs are very fast and you will be able to see the progress (with the gold medalist, you can use the PC while it is working with no problems).

Good luck to you!

Bill R TechSpec ..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...