We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need advice on desktop replacement

smiiithy2009
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a laptop between £400 and £600.

Since September 2007 I've owned a Dell Inspiron 6400. A while back I upgraded it to have 2GB of DDR2 and have since upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate. It's time for a replacement, but I have been impressed with the Dell and would prefer to stick with the brand provided I can get a good deal.

I have been reading up on the top 5 sub-£600 laptops in PC Advisor but still feel a little lost. I'm looking for suggestions on suitable laptops based on the following:

USAGE: I use the laptop for day to day use and downloading, it is left on at almost all times right by my bed. I don't do any gaming. Weight is not a huge concern.

STORAGE: I use external drives for storage and can manage with anything upwards of 110GB.

I would prefer to have a small SSD than large HDD, due to the laptop being left on for long periods of time.

PROCESSOR: This is more important than the memory to me, as it's not easily upgraded. I would imagine something like the Intel Core i3 or i5 would be fine.

MEMORY: I would like to end up with no less than 4GB of DDR3, but would consider upgrading the RAM provided there was a spare slot.

BATTERY LIFE: I don't use the laptop much outside the house but reasonable battery life of around 3 hours would be good.

GRAPHICS & SOUND: Due to not gaming, I can manage with onboard graphics. I sometimes use the laptop for playing music and would be put of by the likes of the Acer Aspire 5742-374G32Mnkk with its mono speaker.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Mike

Like this post
smiiithy2009

Likes # 0

Bump

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

As you would like to stay with dell, have a look at these specs, to see if any suit your needs.

link text

Terry

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow