We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband Connection Problems

wagstaf

Likes # 0

Help Required!! I have a problem with my telephone/broadband connection. We have a BT master socket with a double adapter (1 for phone) (1 for netgear wireless router). Yesterday the adapter didn't work (or I thought it was the adapter)so I bought a new one. Now I when I connect it, the phone works ok until I connect the broadband then neither works. The adapter is ok as it works perfectly ok with 2 phone lines or the broadband works ok with just the broadband socket installed. Any ideas please? Thanks

Like this post
Poitier

Likes # 0

Hi, It is not clear from your post ,but are you using a filter?.Both phone and router connect to the filter.Is the filter OK?

Like this post
wagstaf

Likes # 0

Thanks for yr reply. I was using a filter but have now taken it off. It was having the same problems...when I plugged in the phone to it was fine but when I plugged in the line to the router the phone goes off.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Sounds like a duff filter - it does happen.

Like this post
wagstaf

Likes # 0

it was all ok yesterday until my missus knocked the bt master socket and the double adapted whilst hoovering. that's why i can't figure it out. it's all back as it should be!

Like this post
wagstaf

Likes # 0

Here's a new slant! I've just bought another ADSL filter. So I have a BT master socket with filter fitted. Same thing happens...plug phone in and get dial tone. Then plug modem in and get no dial tone.

Like this post
Poitier

Likes # 0

Hi, Sounds as though the socket is damaged. Remove the faceplate and plug the filter into the test socket on the wall behind it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide