We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

desktop icons missing after backup to ext HDD

second best
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi.

A while back I copied my entire Documents folder to ext K.

If I don't have my Ext K attached I receive a meesage on boot up 'K not available.....etc' and all of my Desktop Icons are mssing, along with Favourites folder in Internet Explorer.

It has been suggested i had hidden files showing and have somehow copied the .ini files too.

Any ideas where i may have gone wrong?

Thanks.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Took me ages to find this problem.

It is Windows 7 Maintenance cleaning up periodically.

The brute force way is to turn it off.

Control Panel/System and Security/Find and Fix Problems/Change settings

There is a a way to stop unused or unavailable shortcuts being deleted without turning all of Maintenance Off, but I have forgotten it.

Like this post
second best

Likes # 0

Actually Robinofloxley, I should have stated I'm using Vista Home.

I think it may be a simple case of me having copied the Dektop folder in My Documents, but unsure of how to reverse it. Although it would seem to be logical to just copy it back.

Thanks

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Sorry. Seemed identical from your description. Maybe similar in Vista or maybe something else then.

Like this post
second best

Likes # 0

Ok, so I hope you can follow this. I'll try and be as clear as I can.

If i plug in my ext K, i see duplicates in my C My Doc folder of videos, pictures, documents, and desktop etc. If i add anythin in C documents or on the desktop, it APPEARS in my backup folder on my ext K??!!!

So anyhting i add to C aouto backsup/copied to my external Backup folder. How is this possible?

Like this post
second best

Likes # 0

Thanks for that info 124

I actually managed to get it sorted, I think. Basically I copied everything back to C Documents folder. I was offered several requests to copy/replace .ini files, so it must have something to do with that.

As a consequence though, it seems I managed to create a kind of RAID system.

Like i said, if i saved or created a file/folder on C drive, it would auto copy/backup to my external, but I suppose there was only really ever one copy coz If i disconnect external drive K the files/folders were no longer available on C.

Anyway, thanks again.

However, I want to back up my files and obviously don't want the same thing to happen again, so it would be great to know what happened.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home