We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best Solution for 5.1 sound from PC through audio system

C3

Likes # 0

The Problem : I need to get 5.1 Audio from my PC to my DVD 5.1 System.

I currently have the audio coming through the HDMI to the TV, then Digital Optical to the DVD 5.1 system. This doesn't give me 5.1, only stereo. There is only a standard Stereo output on the onboard audio which I currently have switched off in the BIOS.

So I need a very inexpensive PCI Audio Card which will allow 5.1 playback using Digital Optical cables. I have tried an ASUS Xonar DG, which has the Digital Optical out, but doesn't have the built in codecs to output in 5.1, only stereo.

Current Spec : Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 @ 1.86GHz Intel D946GZIS 2.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz ASUS NVIDIA GeForce 210 Win7 64bit SP1

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

The ASUS Xonar DG is capable of passing multi-channel audio via it's Toslink output.

My question is what audio source are you passing through it. If it's just normal PC Audio then that is only stereo.

Like this post
C3

Likes # 0

I encode my DVDs so I don't have to keep playing around with the media all the time and play them directly off the hard drive, so most of them have the 5.1 PCM sound intact. From reading everything I could find regarding the DG Card, it will NOT decode Dolby Digital or DTS so all PCM sound is in Stereo only, not 5.1. When I played it, I only got the surround channels in stereo, not even the main sound.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia