We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

no power to pc

White_Elephant

Likes # 0

hi

my pc won't come on at all. I have swapped over the psu and the power cable. Is there anything else I can do before I assume the mobo is dead and have to buy a new one?

Thanks

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

When you press the power button, do any fans etc come to life?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Is the power socket, plug and fuses okay?.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If not, it's likely to be the power button itself. Just confirm the psu(s) are OK following click here

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It might be the mains wall socket, have you tried a table lamp in the same socket to check it? or try the pc in another wall socket.

Like this post
C3

Likes # 0

Steps :

1. see if there is a power light on the Mobo. Check plug socket for current if not, also change power cable and check again. Check that the power button on PC hasn't been damaged (you should here it click when you press it)
  2. Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except the 20/24 pin Power and the Processor power. Turn off the power switch on the back of the PSU and hold down the power button for 10 secs. Turn the power switch back on then press power button. If nothing happens...
  3. Swap out PSU. Carry out the same test. If it is still dead, that usually means there is something wrong with the motherboard.
Like this post
C3

Likes # 0

Forgot to add :

If power does come back on and you get the PC to POST, start adding devices back on one at a time. If it falls over again, disconnect that device and try another one. This way you'll see if it is a device causing your issue, or if it keeps falling over randomly regardless of what you have plugged in, then it's probably the board.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen